From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: Another proposal about `mml-parse'.
Date: 23 Dec 2000 21:34:39 -0500	[thread overview]

Simon Josefsson <sj@extundo.com> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > In thinking about how I'd like to use the `mml-parse' function within
> > `mml-secure-part', it occurs to me that it would be useful to make use
> > of another entry within structure that `mml-parse' returns in addition
> > to `sign', `encrypt', and `contents'.  I'd like to propose that along
> > with `contents' there be an entry named `location' or something
> > similar, whose value would be the point at which the mml tag appears
> > within the message buffer.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Sounds good to me.  Btw, does `mml-secure-part' actually fail on
> some messages, or why do you want to make the change?  (I would
> agree that it would be more aesthetically, `mml-secure-part' was a
> hack.)

Well, it doesn't fail outright, but it does cause inconsistent
behavior.  To see what I'm referring to, do the following:

-- Compose a message in gnus, either email or news.

-- Select to the MML -> Security -> Sign -> PGP/MIME menu entry.  A
   tag that says '#part sign=pgpmime' will appear right at the top of
   the message (surrounded by less-than/greater-than signs).

-- Position the cursor *before* this `#part' tag, and re-select the
   same menu entry.  You will see a second, idential `#part' tag
   appear above the first one.

-- Now, delete the extra `#part' tag and move the cursor to a
   a point *after* the remaining `#part' tag.  Then, select the
   same menu entry once more.  This time, you'll see a second
   `sign=pgpmime' attribute added top this `#part' tag.

Now, none of this is all that horrible, but it's inconsistent
behavior.  In addition, each of these causes a redundant tag or
attribute to be added.

The behavior I'm looking for is for tags and attributes to only be
added when they are not redundant.  Also, I'd like to be able to write
functions to remove tags and attributes.  My proposed changes to
`mml-secure-part' would make both of these behaviors easy to
implement.

And so yes, I agree with you that this is more of aesthetic change, at
least the part concerning the prevention of redundant tags/attributes.
But to be able to delete tags/attributes is more than an aesthetic
change, in my opinion.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com