* Utility for altering .newsrc.eld?
@ 1998-11-06  3:15 Lloyd Zusman
       [not found] ` <udlpvb18pmd.fsf@tux.mit.edu>
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-11-06  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[ This is an auto-generated, courtesy copy of a message that I've
  also posted to the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup. ]

I'm using pgnus-0.40 under XEmacs 20.4.

Does anyone know of a utility which can make a duplicate of a standard
.newsrc.eld file, but with the article numbers in the destination set
to zero?  Everything else in the destination .newsrc.eld would be the
same as the source version.

I would like something like this because I am about to point Gnus to a
different local news spool (I'm using nnspool) with different article
numbers.

I can do this by hand, but it's a tedious process to manually go
through the structures within .newsrc.eld and make the necessary
changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Utility for altering .newsrc.eld?
       [not found] ` <udlpvb18pmd.fsf@tux.mit.edu>
@ 1998-11-06  4:39   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-11-06  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

amu@mit.edu (Aaron M. Ucko) writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > I would like something like this because I am about to point Gnus to a
> > different local news spool (I'm using nnspool) with different article
> > numbers.
>
> What you really want to do is run (gnus-change-server).  See
> (gnus)Changing Servers.

Thanks for your suggestion, but in my particular case, I don't have
access to both spools at the same time.  My reasons for this are
complex ... but please just trust me on this.

However, I received an email from Dan Christensen <jdc@math.jhu.edu>
who pointed out this function: `gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups'.
This function did the trick for me, in case anyone else might
want to do the same thing.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com