From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: Backend-specific nnmail-spool-file?
Date: 12 Dec 1998 22:08:41 -0500	[thread overview]

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > my preferred way of doing this would be to have one spool file
> > called `/var/spool/mail/oneuser', another called
> > `/var/spool/mail/anotheruser', etc. ... i.e., no special suffixes.
> > Note that I would run Gnus as user `root', which is easy for me to
> > do from my personal Linux machine at home.
>
> Icky.
>
> You really ought to do things the right way, instead of treating your
> machine as if it was running some POS single-user operating system.
>
> It is quite trivial to receive mail for multiple addresses at one
> machine and have them all be read by the same user without doing
> anything nearly as silly as what you suggest.

Of course.  I can think of several ways to do it.  I have already done
this via procmail, via mailagent, via my own homegrown IMAP and POP3
Perl scripts, and via my own homegrown IMAP Python script, in each
case using Gnus as the mailreader.

However, the question I originally posted has to do with whether it
can be done solely within Gnus, without any outside help.

If the answer is "no", then I will just make use of one of the other
approaches I mentioned above.  If the answer is "yes", then I'm trying
to figure out the best way to make it happen.

And if you have something useful to contribute to this discussion,
then I would appreciate your input.  If, however, all you want to do
is editorialize as to how silly you perceive the question to be, then
why bother cluttering up this thread in the mailing list with your
comments at all?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com