* The "nnmail-spool-file" variable stopped functioning ...
@ 1999-03-08 20:32 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-03-08 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using pgnus-0.79 under XEmacs 21.2-beta4.

I have been successfully using the relatively new `nnmail-spool-file'
functionality ever since it came out.  Even in this current version of gnus,
it has been working just fine for all my nnml groups.

However, yesterday, I changed the select method for some of my
non-mail newsgroups from nnspool to nntp, and since then, the following
line has no effect any more, even though it used to work fine to cause
my email to be read from the various *.in files within the directory
/home/myself/Mail/ ...

   (setq nnmail-spool-file '((directory :path "/home/myself/Mail/"
                                        :suffix ".in")))

I think that I must have accidentally screwed up my select method
or some related attribute of my nnml groups.  When I do a `G c'
on any of these newsgroups, the select method appears as "nnml:email",
and to the best of my recollection, this is the same as it was previously.

What could be causing the `nnmail-spool-file' information to no longer
work for these nnml groups?  I believe that this is probably a simple
thing to fix, but I haven't been able to figure out what to do, since
I never was all that much of an expert on this new `nnmail-spool-file'
methodology.

Also, I have to admit that I don't recall exectly what I did to change
the select method on my groups from nnspool to nntp ... there was a
command described somewhere within the "info" documentation, but I
haven't been able to find it again.  But even if I figure out this
command, I'm not sure how I would use it to re-enable the recognition
of the *.in files within that directory.

It should also be noted that I didn't change any elisp code in .gnus.el
or any other file.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you could give me.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: The "nnmail-spool-file" variable stopped functioning ...
@ 1999-03-08 20:48 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-03-08 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover

* Re: The "nnmail-spool-file" variable stopped functioning ...
@ 1999-03-08 21:01   ` Picky and Generous
From: Picky and Generous @ 1999-03-08 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)

On 8 Mar 1999, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> Mon, 08 Mar 1999
> | I'm using pgnus-0.79 under XEmacs 21.2-beta4.
>
> Lots of nnmail variables have had their names changed.  This happened
> around 0.72 or 0.74.  Try mail-source-foo instead of nnmail-foo.

Thanks, but this isn't the problem.  Everything was working fine in
0.79 until I did whatever I did to change my select method for the
non-mail groups from nnspool to nntp.  Once I did that, I accidentally
screwed up the nnml groups, as well.  As I mentioned in my previous
message, I don't recall what I did to effect this change.

Just in case, I put in extra mail-source-* variables for each of the few
nnmail-* variables which were left in my .gnus.el file ... but not
surprisingly, this didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas as to how I might reset my nnml groups to once again be fed
via the *.in files in the directory I specify?

--

@ 1999-03-08 21:40     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-03-08 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Was one of your changes the addition of the suffix on the maildrops?
If so (and probably even if not :-) upgrade to 0.80.  There's a bug in
0.79 that messes up incoming mail drop files that have suffixes.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: The "nnmail-spool-file" variable stopped functioning ...
@ 1999-03-08 23:16       ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-03-08 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 Mar 1999, David S. Goldberg wrote:

> Was one of your changes the addition of the suffix on the maildrops?
> If so (and probably even if not :-) upgrade to 0.80.  There's a bug in
> 0.79 that messes up incoming mail drop files that have suffixes.

Well, I didn't change the suffix at all, but I'm in the process of
downloading 0.80, anyway.  I'm pretty sure that things were previously
working under 0.79 before my changes.

A question while I'm waiting for the download to complete:  what should
be the proper value of "select method" when I do a `G c' on an nnml
group for which this suffix processing is supposed to work?

--

@ 1999-03-09  2:05         ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-03-09  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljzmail@ingress.com> writes:

> On 8 Mar 1999, David S. Goldberg wrote:
>
> > Was one of your changes the addition of the suffix on the maildrops?
> > If so (and probably even if not :-) upgrade to 0.80.  There's a bug in
> > 0.79 that messes up incoming mail drop files that have suffixes.
>
> Well, I didn't change the suffix at all, but I'm in the process of
> downloading 0.80, anyway.  I'm pretty sure that things were previously
> working under 0.79 before my changes.

Well ... version 0.80 fixed my problem, after all.  This is quite
mysterious, however, because version 0.79 was working fine for more
than a week before I started having the problem I mentioned.

But all's well that ends well ... and I'm not going to worry too much
about this mystery.

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com