From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: smtp authentication (sendmail relay)
Date: 17 Dec 2000 18:41:10 -0500	[thread overview]

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > Well, the only thing I can think of is reverse DNS.  Many servers
> > don't allow connection to them unless the connecting host's IP address
> > has a valid reverse DNS entry.  The IP address of machine from which I
> > was connecting indeed does have a valid reverse DNS entry, and so
> > perhaps this is why my connection works.
>
> Bingo... I think you've hit on it.  Turns out I can connect to
> smtp.newsguy.com from my DSL connection at a different location.
> (Same ISP)  So apparently they are not supplying it for dialin
> accounts.

Great!  Well ... sort-of "great!" ... it's good to know why this is a
problem, but it still has to be corrected.  Your ISP should provide
reverse DNS for dial-in accounts, because as I mentioned earlier, it's
hard to use the net these days without reverse DNS (as you are
discovering), and this service is routinely provided by the majority
of ISP's these days.  If yours refuses to give you reverse DNS
service, I strongly suggest you change ISP's, if at all possible.

Contact me privately if you want to discuss some ways for you to
work around this reverse DNS problem.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com