* images not being encoded after pgnus-0.61
@ 1998-12-03  4:26 Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-12-03  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I found that I could no longer get images (jpeg in this instance) to
encode into a test message after 0.61. The resultant message simply
had a blank space where the encoded jpeg should have been.

  A little mooching around and I discovered:

*** 210,216 ****
  	    (setq coded (buffer-string)))
  	(mm-with-unibyte-buffer
  	  (if (setq filename (cdr (assq 'filename cont)))
! 	      (insert-file-contents-literally filename)
  	    (insert (cdr (assq 'contents cont))))
  	  (setq encoding (mm-encode-buffer type)
  		coded (buffer-string))))
--- 214,220 ----
  	    (setq coded (buffer-string)))
  	(mm-with-unibyte-buffer
  	  (if (setq filename (cdr (assq 'filename cont)))
! 	      (insert-file-contents filename)
  	    (insert (cdr (assq 'contents cont))))
  	  (setq encoding (mm-encode-buffer type)
  		coded (buffer-string))))
***************

  I Changed this back to `insert-file-contents-literally' and was back
in business. Why the change? Looking at the Doc-string for the
`literally' version, I can only assume some kind of modification to
the temp buffer containing the image is screwing things up a
little. But then again, what am I screwing up now?

--
Mike.

* Re: images not being encoded after pgnus-0.61
@ 1998-12-03  5:23 ` Reply to unauthorized spam
From: Reply to unauthorized spam @ 1998-12-03  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:

>   I found that I could no longer get images (jpeg in this instance) to
> encode into a test message after 0.61. The resultant message simply
> had a blank space where the encoded jpeg should have been.
>
>   A little mooching around and I discovered:
>
> [ ... patch snipped ... ]
>
>   I Changed this back to `insert-file-contents-literally' and was back
> in business. Why the change? Looking at the Doc-string for the
> `literally' version, I can only assume some kind of modification to
> the temp buffer containing the image is screwing things up a
> little. But then again, what am I screwing up now?

This patch worked great, but I'm still seeing a problem.  I believe
that this was an earlier problem from somewhere in the 0.50-0.55
versions that was later fixed, but now it seems to be back.  I'm
not sure if it came back in 0.61 or an earlier release.

If I send myself a message that I built using `C-c C-a' to insert one
or more JPEG images, these images now show up fine (after applying the
above patch) when I receive and read the message.  However, there are
no buttons in the buffer which allow me to select which image I want
to decode ... they just all get decoded as soon as I enter the
message.

Other messages (sent to me by one or more mailers other than Gnus)
still show the buttons properly, so I'm guessing that there's
something about using Gnus to encode the images that confuses Gnus
later on when the message arrives.

Any ideas?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: images not being encoded after pgnus-0.61
@ 1998-12-03  5:27   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-12-03  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reply to unauthorized spam <nospam@no.where> writes:

OOPS ... Gnus configuration error.  Please forgive my erroneous
name and address.  This message I'm responding to is from me.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: images not being encoded after pgnus-0.61
@ 1998-12-03 11:47   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-03 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reply to unauthorized spam <nospam@no.where> writes:

> If I send myself a message that I built using `C-c C-a' to insert one
> or more JPEG images, these images now show up fine (after applying the
> above patch) when I receive and read the message.  However, there are
> no buttons in the buffer which allow me to select which image I want
> to decode ... they just all get decoded as soon as I enter the
> message.

If you want buttons, hit `M-t'.

* Re: images not being encoded after pgnus-0.61
@ 1998-12-03 12:11     ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-12-03 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > [ ... ] However, there are
> > no buttons in the buffer which allow me to select which image I want
> > to decode ... they just all get decoded as soon as I enter the
> > message.
>
> If you want buttons, hit `M-t'.

Yes ... that works fine.  However, why is it that multipart messages
that are sent to me by other people who don't use Gnus (they are
either using Eudora or Outlook [Express]) automatically show me
buttons as soon as I enter the message?  ... no `M-t' is necessary.

There must be some way to use Gnus to *send* a message so that when I
receive the message and then open it via Gnus, the buttons
automatically appear without my having to type `M-t' ... ???

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com