* sgnus 0.59: `message.el' comments
@ 1996-03-27 10:46 Per Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-03-27 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

* All variable names have changed.

I suspect you will have to provide some compatibility package before
adding it to Emacs, or risk getting lynched.

How about using `mail-' as a prefix instead, less changes is needed
then.

* gnus-bug didn't work.

I think it hasn't been converted fully or some such.  I don't know if
you got my bug reports, but I didn't get them despite a `BCC: abraham'.

Is this really right?

* Some customization options gone.

There apparently wasn't an equivalent to `mail-self-blind'.  I think
this is good, since you can just use `message-default-headers'
instead.

* Conversion of other mail packages.

Will you also convert rmail and mhe to use `message.el', or will a
person who use rmail for mail and Gnus for news have to maintain two
sets of variables for customizing?

* Re: sgnus 0.59: `message.el' comments
@ 1996-03-27 11:43 ` Gareth Rees
From: Gareth Rees @ 1996-03-27 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen wrote:

> Is this really right?

In Son-of-RFC1036, section 6.13 ("Organization") appears in chapter 6
("Optional Headers").

* Re: sgnus 0.59: `message.el' comments
@ 1996-03-28  5:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-28  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

abraham@dina.kvl.dk (Per Abrahamsen) writes:

> * All variable names have changed.
>
> I suspect you will have to provide some compatibility package before
> adding it to Emacs, or risk getting lynched.
>
> How about using `mail-' as a prefix instead, less changes is needed
> then.

I wanted to avoid using all old variables to provide an interface that
is as clean as possible.   Being overly backwards compatible would
muddle the waters, I think.

> * gnus-bug didn't work.
>
> I think it hasn't been converted fully or some such.  I don't know if
> you got my bug reports, but I didn't get them despite a `BCC: abraham'.

I just tried it, and it seems to work...

> Is this really right?

It's in the default `message-required-news-headers', as it was in the
default `gnus-required-headers'...

> * Some customization options gone.
>
> There apparently wasn't an equivalent to `mail-self-blind'.  I think
> this is good, since you can just use `message-default-headers'
> instead.

Yup.  I removed all those kinds of variables.

> * Conversion of other mail packages.
>
> Will you also convert rmail and mhe to use `message.el', or will a
> person who use rmail for mail and Gnus for news have to maintain two
> sets of variables for customizing?

I definitely want to convert rmail, VM and mh-e to use message.el.
rmail fer shure.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: sgnus 0.59: `message.el' comments
@ 1996-03-28  8:14 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-03-28  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ abraham@dina.kvl.dk (Per Abrahamsen) wrote:

| * gnus-bug didn't work.
|
| I think it hasn't been converted fully or some such.  I don't know if
| you got my bug reports, but I didn't get them despite a `BCC: abraham'.

Hmm nah it was intentional, Larsi just needed a break ;-)

	/andy

--
 Don't walk in front of me, I might be unable to follow you.
 Don't walk after me, I might be unable to lead you.

* Re: sgnus 0.59: `message.el' comments
@ 1996-03-28  8:15   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-03-28  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

PA> Is this really right?

LMI> It's in the default `message-required-news-headers', as it was in the
LMI> default `gnus-required-headers'...

I don't think it should be required.

LMI> I definitely want to convert rmail, VM and mh-e to use message.el.
LMI> rmail fer shure.

Good luck convincing Kyle...