* nndejanews, uhm, nndejagnus, no, nnweb
@ 1996-08-18 15:09 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-18 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, so I have a hard time making up my mind.

I'm now rewriting nnweb (nee nndejagnus) to be a general Web search
engine thingie.  It'll support DejaNews, Reference and Alta Visa, I
guess.  Any nndejagnus groups you create with Red 0.13 will be
obsolete in Red 0.14.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: nndejanews, uhm, nndejagnus, no, nnweb
@ 1996-08-19  6:19 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-08-19  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

| Ok, so I have a hard time making up my mind.
|
| I'm now rewriting nnweb (nee nndejagnus) to be a general Web search
| engine thingie.  It'll support DejaNews, Reference and Alta Visa, I
| guess.  Any nndejagnus groups you create with Red 0.13 will be
| obsolete in Red 0.14.

When will nnweb be ready, so we can browse the web as we can do in
netscape ;-) Then we really can call Gnus for Gnutscape or something
;-)..

	/Andy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: nndejanews, uhm, nndejagnus, no, nnweb
@ 1996-08-19 12:56   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-08-19 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

> When will nnweb be ready, so we can browse the web as we can do in
> netscape ;-) Then we really can call Gnus for Gnutscape or something
> ;-)..

Well, seeing as Gnuscape already exists
	<URL:http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/w3/docs.html>
this would be in direct competition.  Wonder what Bill would say to
that...?  ("which Bill?" you sez.  "You figure it out" sez I).

* Re: nndejanews, uhm, nndejagnus, no, nnweb
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-19 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-08-20  6:13       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-08-20  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

>> this would be in direct competition.

> But he said "Gnutscape", not "Gnuscape".  :-)

I know.  But the names are close enough to warrant a trade mark
infringement suit.

* Re: nndejanews, uhm, nndejagnus, no, nnweb
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-22 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > But he said "Gnutscape", not "Gnuscape".  :-)
>
> I know.  But the names are close enough to warrant a trade mark
> infringement suit.

William -- if I use the word "Gnutscape" in the manual (to describe
the nnweb backend), will you sue me for trademark infringement?  :-)

* Re: nndejanews, uhm, nndejagnus, no, nnweb
@ 1996-08-22 20:01           ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-08-22 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>
> > > But he said "Gnutscape", not "Gnuscape".  :-)
> >
> > I know.  But the names are close enough to warrant a trade mark
> > infringement suit.
>
> William -- if I use the word "Gnutscape" in the manual (to describe
> the nnweb backend), will you sue me for trademark infringement?  :-)

  I'm sure that equitable licensing terms can be arranged.  Have your
attorney call my attorney and they'll do lunch.  (I'll buy the arsenic)

-Bill P.

* Re: nndejanews, uhm, nndejagnus, no, nnweb
@ 1996-08-26  5:58           ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-08-26  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

| Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
|
| > > But he said "Gnutscape", not "Gnuscape".  :-)
| >
| > I know.  But the names are close enough to warrant a trade mark
| > infringement suit.
|
| William -- if I use the word "Gnutscape" in the manual (to describe
| the nnweb backend), will you sue me for trademark infringement?  :-)

Humm I know a bit old.. but ;-) Why so netscape fixated, why not try
some name that will make people wake up, like Gnus (Internet?)
Explorer ;-)

	/Andy

--

@ 1996-08-26 10:16 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-08-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

| Ok, so I have a hard time making up my mind.
|
| I'm now rewriting nnweb (nee nndejagnus) to be a general Web search
| engine thingie.  It'll support DejaNews, Reference and Alta Visa, I
| guess.  Any nndejagnus groups you create with Red 0.13 will be
| obsolete in Red 0.14.

I have now tried rgnus 0.15, what have yo done to it, awful!
Wonderful.. reading virtual groups doesn't chug processor as in
previous versions!

Ahh well I find the nnweb backend good, but when searching on
altavista I only get the 20 first matches?? Are there functinality to
see the 'next matches' from altavista?

	/Andy
--

@ 1996-08-28  0:59   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-28  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> Ahh well I find the nnweb backend good, but when searching on
> altavista I only get the 20 first matches?? Are there functinality to
> see the 'next matches' from altavista?

It didn't quite work.  In 0.18, nnweb will fetch `nnweb-max-hits'
articles.

I've had several reports from people who can't get nnweb to do
anything much.  I've had output sent to me, and when I try to parse
it, everything works ok.  What's going on here?  Are there some
gremlins I've not considered?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen