* CFP: Call For Proofreaders
@ 1996-09-13 23:35 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-13 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Gnus manual is in dire need of some proofreading.  It has been
rather thoroughly ispelled, but grammatical faults, unclear language,
misplaced commas, and other gaffes abound.

I'm not asking anybody to take on the gargantuan task of proofreading
the entire thing (220 pages now -- I printed a copy out yesterday) --
just do as much as you feel like.  A chapter, a section, a paragraph
-- it all helps.  Send me diffs for the gnus.texi file.

The beginning of the manual probably need proofreading less than the
rest.

Let the list know which parts you're proofreading to avoid having
several people go over the same sections.

You'll have my undying gratitude.  And *great* fame as well -- I'll
mention you in the thank-you section.  :-)

* Re: CFP: Call For Proofreaders
@ 1996-09-17  6:27 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-09-17  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

| Let the list know which parts you're proofreading to avoid having
| several people go over the same sections.

Ok I am grabbing the first 50 pages of gnus-manual-a4.ps (hmm. it is
labeled red gnus 0.24) hope I haven't printed 25 pages of an old doc
now..

	/andy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: CFP: Call For Proofreaders Well here comes some small comments
@ 1996-09-17  7:19 ` Andy Eskilsson
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-09-17  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Have here collected three thoughts.

First looks of the manual.. The complete gnuses, starting chapters
doesn't look too good, one of the legs is just a thin line, is it
something that went wrong in my printout messing or is it a bug??

The gnus on the cover page looks god, while the gnusae on the
chapter-beginning pages doesn't look too good.

I don't know.. but just a feeling.. The layout for a chapter is
something like:

-----------------  <New page>
Starting gnus + gnu
-----------------  <New page>
Blah Blah
1.1 finding the news
blah blah

While a person with my perversions would preferr something like

-----------------  <New page>
Starting gnus + gnu
-----------------  <New page>
1 Starting gnus
Blah Blah
1.1 finding the news
blah blah

I miss the '1 blah' heading.. dunno know if it is healthy or? Thats
why I am asking you. What I don't like is the first text after the
frontpage it feels loose not having a heading abouve it..

And the third thought the frontpage to the chapters... maybe try to
vary the gnu-picture so it matches the topic.. starting gnus: a gnus
with a handle such found in chainsaws/old machines to cut the grass
with (whats their name?) wroom wroom.. select methods: a couple of
gnuae with a crosshair selecting one of them..

And maybe even having some nifty words that might match the topic of
the chapter, the who seeketh should findeth uhm well we all know where
that1 cam from :-), "You can observe a lot by just watching" Yogi
Bear, maybe even bake in some sublimal netiquette without the user
even noticing?? :-)

Just my 58öre, and I will crawl back into my cave and read the docs :-)

	/Andy

p.s. BTW about the gnus in the borders of the paper, what do they
symbolise? Look here one more time or just something to get us
confused?? :-)

--

@ 1996-09-17  9:45   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-09-17  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> p.s. BTW about the gnus in the borders of the paper, what do they
> symbolise?

Maybe features that are gnu since the last release?

* Re: CFP: Call For Proofreaders Well here comes some small comments
@ 1996-09-17 15:45   ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1996-09-17 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > The complete gnuses, starting chapters doesn't look too good,

We thought that it would be cool to show off our cultural awareness
and render each chapter-beginning gnu as it would have been in the
several of past ages in no particular order; chapter one is, of
course, a Picasso version, then there's the Renaissance version, then
one from The Age of Enlightenment, etc.

I guess that didn't go over too well...

    > What I don't like is the first text after the frontpage it
    > feels loose not having a heading abouve it..

Yeah, I think so too...

* Re: CFP: Call For Proofreaders Well here comes some small comments
@ 1996-09-18  1:26   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-18  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> While a person with my perversions would preferr something like
>
> -----------------  <New page>
> Starting gnus + gnu
> -----------------  <New page>
> 1 Starting gnus
> Blah Blah
> 1.1 finding the news
> blah blah
>
> I miss the '1 blah' heading.. dunno know if it is healthy or? Thats
> why I am asking you. What I don't like is the first text after the
> frontpage it feels loose not having a heading abouve it..

Not being a designer-type human bean myself, I modeled the manual
after what I had in front of me -- the LaTeX User's Guide and
Reference Manual.  :-)  The line over the pages and the
Chapter-page-and-then-start thingie are both from that book.

I should write an "about the manual" thing on the inside back cover, I
think.

> And the third thought the frontpage to the chapters... maybe try to
> vary the gnu-picture so it matches the topic.. starting gnus: a gnus
> with a handle such found in chainsaws/old machines to cut the grass
> with (whats their name?) wroom wroom.. select methods: a couple of
> gnuae with a crosshair selecting one of them..

:-)  It's up to Luis.

> p.s. BTW about the gnus in the borders of the paper, what do they
> symbolise? Look here one more time or just something to get us
> confused?? :-)

It's supposed to be displayed in the margin beside the important
stuff.

* Re: CFP: Call For Proofreaders Well here comes some small comments
@ 1996-09-18  7:13     ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-09-18  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

| Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:
|
| > While a person with my perversions would preferr something like
| >
| > -----------------  <New page>
| > Starting gnus + gnu
| > -----------------  <New page>
| > 1 Starting gnus
| > Blah Blah
| > 1.1 finding the news
| > blah blah
| >
| > I miss the '1 blah' heading.. dunno know if it is healthy or? Thats
| > why I am asking you. What I don't like is the first text after the
| > frontpage it feels loose not having a heading abouve it..
|
| Not being a designer-type human bean myself, I modeled the manual
| after what I had in front of me -- the LaTeX User's Guide and
| Reference Manual.  :-)  The line over the pages and the
| Chapter-page-and-then-start thingie are both from that book.

OUCH the lines in the manual are OK, the lines I drew were used to
show a page break..

It maybe looks better:

  <New page>
Starting gnus + picture gnu
  <New page>
1 Starting gnus
Blah Blah
1.1 finding the news
blah blah

| > p.s. BTW about the gnus in the borders of the paper, what do they
| > symbolise? Look here one more time or just something to get us
| > confused?? :-)
|
| It's supposed to be displayed in the margin beside the important
| stuff.

Uhm borders/margins.. my english isn't what it should be :-( And I am
starting my master thesis.. hmm guess I have to read some more, and
post more messages to you (hee hee hee!)

	/Andy

--

@ 1996-09-18  7:20     ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-09-18  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> I should write an "about the manual" thing on the inside back cover, I
> think.

$ webster colophon
col.o.phon \'ka:l-*-f*n, -.fa.n\ n [L, fr. Gk kolopho-n summit, finishing
   touch] 1: an inscription placed at the end of a book or manuscript usu.
   with facts relative to its production 2: an identifying device used by a
   printer or a publisher

O'reilly books typically have one to explain their covers, other books often
describe what software or hardware was used. Colophons are fine ideas.

greg

* Re: CFP: Call For Proofreaders Well here comes some small comments
@ 1996-09-18  7:21     ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1996-09-18  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

/ elf@ee.ryerson.ca (luis fernandes) wrote:

|     > The complete gnuses, starting chapters doesn't look too good,
|
| We thought that it would be cool to show off our cultural awareness
| and render each chapter-beginning gnu as it would have been in the
| several of past ages in no particular order; chapter one is, of
| course, a Picasso version, then there's the Renaissance version, then
| one from The Age of Enlightenment, etc.

Hmm a jolly good idea.. but I didn't get it at the first
glance.. Could it be possible to maybe try to highlight the age in so
me way??

Or go for my idea with chainsaws/crosshairs ;-) That would prolly get
the point. Naah.. lemme look at those gnu'ses again and think..

	/Andy
--

@ 1996-09-19  2:11       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-19  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> > I should write an "about the manual" thing on the inside back cover, I
> > think.
>
> $ webster colophon
> col.o.phon \'ka:l-*-f*n, -.fa.n\ n [L, fr. Gk kolopho-n summit, finishing
>    touch] 1: an inscription placed at the end of a book or manuscript usu.
>    with facts relative to its production 2: an identifying device used by a
>    printer or a publisher

I kinda though that was what is was called, but I wasn't quite sure...

> O'reilly books typically have one to explain their covers, other books often
> describe what software or hardware was used. Colophons are fine ideas.

Yes -- I always like to read things like that.  I'll add one.