* Message formatting without 'filladapt'
@ 2018-06-11 13:49 Enrico Scholz
From: Enrico Scholz @ 2018-06-11 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I noticed, that message formatting stopped to work properly with
emacs-26.1.  This seems to be caused by the removal of 'filladapt'
support from 'message-fill-paragraph'.

E.g. when trying to reformat (M-q) cited text like

> This is some replied text with a list:
>
> 1. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam
>    nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna:
>
>    - aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo
>      duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren,
>    - no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem
>      ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam

I get

> 1. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam
> nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna:
>
>    - aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo
>    duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, - no sea
>    takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor
>    sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam

For now, I reenabled filladapt mode by defining the original
'message-fill-paragraph' and setting it as 'fill-paragraph-function'.

Does there exist a customization which uses the currently used native
adaptive filling?

Enrico

* Re: Message formatting without 'filladapt'
@ 2018-06-15 22:53 ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 2018-06-15 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enrico Scholz; +Cc: ding

ES> Hello, I noticed, that message formatting stopped to work properly
ES> with emacs-26.1.  This seems to be caused by the removal of
ES> 'filladapt' support from 'message-fill-paragraph'.

I've had the same problem.  Since I use supercite, that makes it worse
because the filladapt integration was mildly important for refilling
quoted text.

I'm not at all sure what the best fix is.  Sadly for now I'm just living
with it.

 - J<

* Re: Message formatting without 'filladapt'
@ 2018-06-15 23:59   ` Enrico Scholz
From: Enrico Scholz @ 2018-06-15 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason L Tibbitts III; +Cc: ding

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> writes:

> ES> Hello, I noticed, that message formatting stopped to work properly
> ES> with emacs-26.1.  This seems to be caused by the removal of
> ES> 'filladapt' support from 'message-fill-paragraph'.
>
> I've had the same problem.  Since I use supercite, that makes it worse
> because the filladapt integration was mildly important for refilling
> quoted text.
>
> I'm not at all sure what the best fix is.  Sadly for now I'm just living
> with it.

fwiw, I use the old code with

---------
(defun ensc/message-fill-paragraph (&optional arg)
  "Message specific function to fill a paragraph.  This function is used
  as the value of `fill-paragraph-function' in Message buffers and is
  not meant to be called directly."
    (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg 'full)))
      (if (if (boundp 'filladapt-mode) filladapt-mode)
            nil
                (if (message-point-in-header-p)
                    (message-fill-field)
                          (message-newline-and-reformat arg t))