* Does VM have any features we want in pgnus?
@ 1999-11-08 12:45 David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-08 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Just wondering but does VM have any features that we would want in
gnus? I think more and more people are coming around to the idea that
gnus is great for mail and news, rather than just news. So is there
anything we should consider adding to gnus to give people less reasons
to 'upgrade' to gnus?

When I switched, VM had mime, gnus didn't really, or at least it was
harder. Now I don't know.

* Re: Does VM have any features we want in pgnus?
@ 1999-11-08 13:22 ` Stein Arild Stromme
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Stein Arild Stromme @ 1999-11-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

[David Maslen]

| Just wondering but does VM have any features that we would want in
| gnus? I think more and more people are coming around to the idea that
| gnus is great for mail and news, rather than just news. So is there
| anything we should consider adding to gnus to give people less reasons
| to 'upgrade' to gnus?

Labels.

The functionality provided by vm-summary-uninteresting-senders; this
is probably easy to achieve.  I have not yet started looking for
ready-made solutions, but since you asked..

A simple way to go from one group to another without having to visit
the *Groups* buffer.

Thanks,
Stein
--
Stein A. Strømme   ---   Matematisk institutt, Universitetet i Bergen
e-post: stromme@math.uib.no   telefon: 5558 4825   telefax: 5558 9672

* Re: Does VM have any features we want in pgnus?
@ 1999-11-08 13:35   ` Stein Arild Stromme
From: Stein Arild Stromme @ 1999-11-08 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I wrote]

| A simple way to go from one group to another without having to visit
| the *Groups* buffer.

That should be *Group* buffer, of course.  Now, reading my own
posting, the asterisks are gone and instead the word appears in
boldface.  Not exactly what I intended..
--

@ 1999-11-08 15:16   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stein Arild Stromme <stromme@math.uib.no> writes:

> The functionality provided by vm-summary-uninteresting-senders; this
> is probably easy to achieve.  I have not yet started looking for
> ready-made solutions, but since you asked..

Does this mean that VM shows the To header rather than the From header
for some mails?  This can be achieved in pgnus, as well.  See the
variables gnus-extra-headers, nnmail-extra-headers,
gnus-summary-line-format (specifier "%f").

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: Does VM have any features we want in pgnus?
@ 1999-11-08 15:45   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 1999-11-08 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Stein Arild Stromme <stromme@math.uib.no> writes:
> A simple way to go from one group to another without having to visit
> the *Groups* buffer.

I use:

(global-set-key [f11 ?j] 'jdc-gnus-group-select-a-group)

(defun jdc-gnus-group-select-a-group (group &optional all)
  "Select newsgroup GROUP.
Interactively, query for group name with completion.
No article is selected automatically.
If ALL is non-nil, already read articles become readable.
If ALL is a number, fetch this number of articles."

  (interactive
   (list (completing-read
	  "Group: " gnus-active-hashtb nil
	  (gnus-read-active-file-p)
	  nil
	  'gnus-group-history)
	 current-prefix-arg))

  (when (equal group "")
    (error "Empty group name"))

  (gnus-group-read-group all t group))

I used to have this bound to `J', but that got taken over by the
agent...

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: Does VM have any features we want in pgnus?
@ 1999-11-08 16:16     ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-11-08 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:

> (defun jdc-gnus-group-select-a-group (group &optional all)

Hmm, would be very nice, except something is buggy. I just used this to
jump to a group and on exiting the group it did the expiry process which
I assume it got from a previous group as the group in question shouldn't
be expired (Now I'll be in trouble with my girlfriend ... Oops :) )

Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"