* wrong score file is used
@ 2022-10-20 14:26 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2022-10-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I noticed that an article was scored wrongly, so I did `V t`
and discovered that the rule comes from the file "soc" that is not
intended for this group.

Playing with the settings revealed the culprit:

(add-hook 'gnus-score-find-score-files-function 'sds-gnus-upscore-new-thread)
(defun sds-gnus-upscore-new-thread (group)
  "Up-score thread-starters in all groups with _discussions_.
Exclude `news` groups where there are no threads."
  (and (not (string-match (concat "\\." (regexp-opt '("news" "slashdot" "announce" "stackexchange" "stackoverflow" "reddit"))) group))
       '("new-thread")))

when I remove `sds-gnus-upscore-new-thread' from
`gnus-score-find-score-files-function', the scores are correct (minus
"new-thread" - which is, correctly, _not_ applied), but when I do add
`sds-gnus-upscore-new-thread' to `gnus-score-find-score-files-function',
I get _both_ "new-thread" and "soc" rules (and no, these files do not
reference each other)

I wonder if there is an easy way to debug this.
Setting `gnus-verbose' to 10 does not produce useful messages, just
"Scoring...done".
Ideally, I would like to see something like
"applying rules from file 'foo' because of ..."

Thank you.

--
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com

* Re: wrong score file is used
@ 2022-10-20 15:29 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-10-20 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thursday, 20 Oct 2022 at 10:26, Sam Steingold wrote:
> I wonder if there is an easy way to debug this.

I would welcome advice on debugging scoring as well.  For some reason,
sometimes when I enter a group, the scores shown in the summary buffer
are equal to the article number (plus or minus 1 or 2).  A "V t" shows
the proper score, however.  I can see no reason for this behaviour
(which happens sporadically and is unreproducible).

And given that my article numbers are in the hundreds of thousands, the
scores are rather high. ;-)
--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-09-26) on Debian 11.5