* no such article question
@ 2008-07-05 16:55 Michal
From: Michal @ 2008-07-05 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo group members.
My nnimap INBOX contains some articles which I can neither access nor
delete. For example, when I want to delete such article, I get the
following message in *Mssages*:
No such article 7814 in INBOX: nil
No such article (may have expired or been canceled)

I am guessing that this situation is because I access my INBOX both
from work and from home ( in both the places I use gnus). Gnus
probably caches article header somehow. Can You tell me how can I get
rid of these headers. Some synchronization between gnus and imap
server needed?

Best regards,
Michal

* Re: no such article question
@ 2008-07-06  6:32 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-07-06  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Michal (2008-07-05) writes:

> My nnimap INBOX contains some articles which I can neither access nor
> delete. For example, when I want to delete such article, I get the
> following message in *Mssages*:
> No such article 7814 in INBOX: nil
> No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
>
> I am guessing that this situation is because I access my INBOX both
> from work and from home ( in both the places I use gnus). Gnus
> probably caches article header somehow.

Is the server agentized in Gnus?

If it is, calling `gnus-agent-flush-group' and
`gnus-agent-regenerate-group' could help.

It would probably be nice if Gnus provided a way to update groups
automatically or to have a key binding for doing that.

--
Ralf

* Re: no such article question
@ 2008-07-06 14:21 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2008-07-06 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> My nnimap INBOX contains some articles which I can neither access nor
> delete. For example, when I want to delete such article, I get the
> following message in *Mssages*:
> No such article 7814 in INBOX: nil
> No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
>
> I am guessing that this situation is because I access my INBOX both
> from work and from home ( in both the places I use gnus). Gnus
> probably caches article header somehow. Can You tell me how can I get
> rid of these headers. Some synchronization between gnus and imap
> server needed?

I have a different problem, which is that on one imap server, but not
the other, articles in INBOX show up again after being deleted.  I work
around this by 'rm -rf ~/News/agent'.  Both setups are NetBSD/i386
4_STABLE with recent dovecot 1.0.x, emacs 22.1, and gnus trunk.  I
also access both servers with Apple Mail.app, iphone, and thunderbird.

So, I think your problem might be that the local gnus has a cache about
metadata for the article and is showing it, but really you've deleted
it, so when you select it fetching fails.

I think that caching information about imap is basically too dnagerous,
at least without somehow validating it.  I've tried to turn it off, but
haven't managed to:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "[redacted]"
		(nnimap-address "[redacted]")
		(nnimap-port 993)
		(nnimap-stream ssl)
		(nnimap-authenticator login)
		(nnir-search-engine imap)
		(gnus-agent-cache nil)
		)))

* Re: no such article question
@ 2008-07-06 15:18   ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2008-07-06 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com> writes:

> So, I think your problem might be that the local gnus has a cache about
> metadata for the article and is showing it, but really you've deleted
> it, so when you select it fetching fails.

I have the same feeling, that's why I mentioned about caching in my initial post.