* Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
       [not found] <m3yajose1f.fsf@serpent.laymusic.>
@ 1999-04-20  4:27 ` Stephen Zander
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Stephen Zander @ 1999-04-20  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Laura> I just noticed that I have a lot of files with names like
    Laura> Incomingh12627 in my ~/Mail directory.  They have dates
    Laura> that go back to about when I started using pgnus instead of
    Laura> gnus-5.6.45.  (originally .80, now I'm up to .83; some have
    Laura> happened this morning under .83).

Development versions of Gnus retain mail files after processing in
case Lars has done something awful & you've started losing mail.

Use

	(setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)

if you don't want pgnus to do this.

--
Stephen
---

* Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
@ 1999-04-20  5:35   ` Matt Pharr
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Pharr @ 1999-04-20  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> writes:
>     Laura> I just noticed that I have a lot of files with names like
>     Laura> Incomingh12627 in my ~/Mail directory.
>
> Development versions of Gnus retain mail files after processing in
> case Lars has done something awful & you've started losing mail.
>
> Use
>
> 	(setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)
>
> if you don't want pgnus to do this.

Which would be quite foolish.  Perhaps this behavior might be there for a
reason?  Development gnusae have in fact had bugs which would have led to
lost mail in the past, if not for Incoming* files.  Let them accumulate and
delete them once a week, assuming no hue and cry has come across the ding
list about mail spooling troubles in the meantime.

-matt
--
Matt Pharr                                   mmp@graphics.stanford.edu
<URL:http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mmp>

* Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
@ 1999-04-20  9:29     ` Peter von der Ahé
From: Peter von der Ahé @ 1999-04-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Laura> I just noticed that I have a lot of files with names like
 Laura> Incomingh12627 in my ~/Mail directory.

Consider using something like this:

  find ~/Mail \
    -type d \! -name Mail -prune \
    -o -name Incoming\* -mtime +14 -print | xargs rm -f

in your .bash_logout or .logout.

If you think that the this find command could be simpler, note that I
do not have access to find with the -maxdepth option on all machines I
log on.

Kind Regards
Peter

* Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
@ 1999-04-20 14:57   ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-04-20 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> writes:

> Use
>
> 	(setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)

If you want to do thus yourself, no one will stop you.  However,
please do not ever recommend that to others.  The Incoming files
feature exists for a reason.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
@ 1999-04-20 15:40   ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1999-04-20 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> writes:

> Development versions of Gnus retain mail files after processing in
> case Lars has done something awful & you've started losing mail.
>
> Use
>
>       (setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)
>
> if you don't want pgnus to do this.

I think this is `mail-source-delete-incoming' these days.

--
Michael Duggan
(md5i@cs.cmu.edu)

* Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
@ 1999-04-23  1:53     ` Stephen Zander
From: Stephen Zander @ 1999-04-23  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Justin> If you want to do thus yourself, no one will stop you.
    Justin> However, please do not ever recommend that to others.  The
    Justin> Incoming files feature exists for a reason.

What recommendation?  The paragraph you snipped deliberately pointed
why gnus does what it does.

--
Stephen
---

@ 1999-04-24  1:11       ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-04-24  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and

* Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-04-30 11:58   ` David Mentré
From: David Mentré @ 1999-04-30 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lconrad, ding

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> writes:

> 	(setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)
>
> if you don't want pgnus to do this.

In fact, the use of this variable seems to have be deleted. A grep in
gnus *.el show no use neither definition of this variable. I've also
looked at nnmail.el, seems there is no use of nnmail-delete-incoming.

In fact, looking at ChangeLog, (nnmail-delete-incoming) has been removed
in pgnus 0.73. What is the mechanism/trick to use instead ? The
documentation does not seem to have been updated (still tell about
nnmail-delete-incoming in pgnus 0.83).

Thanks for any advice,
Best regards,
david
--
 David.Mentre@irisa.fr -- http://www.irisa.fr/prive/dmentre/
 Opinions expressed here are only mine.

* Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
@ 1999-04-30 12:07     ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-04-30 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

David.Mentre@irisa.fr (David Mentré) writes:

> In fact, the use of this variable seems to have be deleted. A grep in
> gnus *.el show no use neither definition of this variable. I've also
> looked at nnmail.el, seems there is no use of nnmail-delete-incoming.
>
> In fact, looking at ChangeLog, (nnmail-delete-incoming) has been removed
> in pgnus 0.73. What is the mechanism/trick to use instead ? The
> documentation does not seem to have been updated (still tell about
> nnmail-delete-incoming in pgnus 0.83).

NB: It is not recommended to disable the storage of Incoming files under
pgnus as it is beta software. If you do this don't blame me if you ever
lose mail ;)

That said, you *can* do the following in your .gnus.el

(setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)

Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
@ 1999-04-19 17:42 lconrad
From: lconrad @ 1999-04-19 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just noticed that I have a lot of files with names like
Incomingh12627 in my ~/Mail directory.  They have dates that go back
to about when I started using pgnus instead of gnus-5.6.45.
(originally .80, now I'm up to .83; some have happened this morning
under .83).

They seem to be mail I have read (although maybe at work; I forward
the mail from the isp to my work email, as well as downloading it at
home), but which has not been sorted correctly into my mail
directories.

I assume I can just delete these if I don't need to save them?

Is there any wholesale way I can just get them put in the right
groups?

Is there anything it would be useful to check about what they have in
common?  They seem to be from lots of different sources.  And mail
from a given source seems to sometimes end up  there and sometimes in
the right place.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097