* temporary files left behind by nnfolder
@ 1998-12-07 12:36 Sai-Lai Lo
From: Sai-Lai Lo @ 1998-12-07 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not long ago I began to try out pgnus. One thing I noticed since the
changeover is that in my nnfolder-directory, there are lots of Incoming*
files. It seems that these files are created every time pgnus fetch mail
from incoming mail folders in nnmail-procmail-directory. I guess these are
temporary files which normally would be deleted. But for some reason they are
left behind.

My setup is:

(setq nnfolder-directory "~/private/Mail")

(setq nnmail-use-procmail t)
(setq nnmail-spool-file (list (getenv "MAIL")))

(setq nnmail-use-long-file-names t)
(setq nnmail-procmail-directory "/home/sll/private/Mail/incoming/")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "")))
(setq nnmail-procmail-suffix "")
(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
    "axp-kernel-list.mail\\|axplinux.mail\\|corba.mail\\|egcs.mail\\|egcs-bugs.mail\\|hurricane.mail\\|linux-atm.mail\\|wmaker.mail\\|corba-dev.mail")
(setq nnmail-expiry-wait 7)
(setq nnmail-keep-list-article t)
(remove-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook
             'gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read)
(add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-read)

I hope I've provided sufficent information for the bug(?) to be reproduced.

I had a look at nnmail-get-new-mail which seems to delete the temporary
files before the function returns and it is the same code as
the released version of gnus.

Regards,
Sai-Lai Lo

* Re: temporary files left behind by nnfolder
@ 1998-12-07 12:47 ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1998-12-07 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sai-Lai Lo <S.Lo@orl.co.uk> writes:

> Not long ago I began to try out pgnus. One thing I noticed since the
> changeover is that in my nnfolder-directory, there are lots of Incoming*
> files. It seems that these files are created every time pgnus fetch mail
> from incoming mail folders in nnmail-procmail-directory. I guess these are
> temporary files which normally would be deleted. But for some reason they are
> left behind.

They are deleted in the *normal* run of things. Pgnus is not considered
'normal' for this purpose however. The reason being the pgnus is a
development version and despite the fact that no version of gnus has
lost mail since donkeys ago Lars always sets the appropriate stuff so
that the Incoming files are preserved in development releases.

> I hope I've provided sufficent information for the bug(?) to be reproduced.

s/bug/feature

If you want to get rid of these files you have several options ;

a) delete them by hand whenever you feel like (Though not while gnus is
checking for new mail ...)
b) Set up a cron job to delete them
c) Change line 417 of nnmail.el to

(defcustom nnmail-delete-incoming t

and recompile :)

HTH
Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* Re: temporary files left behind by nnfolder
@ 1998-12-07 17:19   ` Christian Kurz
From: Christian Kurz @ 1998-12-07 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Willis <lee@gbdirect.co.uk> wrote:

> Sai-Lai Lo <S.Lo@orl.co.uk> writes:
>
> a) delete them by hand whenever you feel like (Though not while gnus is
> checking for new mail ...)
> b) Set up a cron job to delete them
> c) Change line 417 of nnmail.el to
>
> (defcustom nnmail-delete-incoming t
>
> and recompile :)

d) add the following to your .gnus
   setq nnmail-delete-incoming t

Christian
--
M$: Our software of tomorrow will make sure that on your
hardware of tomorrow everything will work at the usual speed. ;-)