* Reply-to with the same address as it was sent to
@ 2015-11-11 23:28 lists.emacs.gnus
From: lists.emacs.gnus @ 2015-11-11 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I am using Plus addressing and subdomain addressing[1] which permits
auto-split of my incoming mails into mail groups.

A mail addressed to, say, lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im is put into
INBOX.lists.emacs.gnus. This is a neat feature I am using everywhere.

On the Fastmail webmail, I have a "generic" identity which automatically
change my From to the current subdomain adress.

Is there something I could read about that for Gnus ? I have seen many
configuration with alias and such (gnus-alias, gnus posting style,
gnus-harvest, etc.) Which can help in my case ?

Thank you

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/addressing.html

-- Xavier

* Re: Reply-to with the same address as it was sent to
@ 2015-11-12 20:50 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-11-12 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists.emacs.gnus; +Cc: ding

lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im writes:

Hi Xavier,

> I am using Plus addressing and subdomain addressing[1] which permits
> auto-split of my incoming mails into mail groups.
>
> A mail addressed to, say, lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im is put
> into INBOX.lists.emacs.gnus. This is a neat feature I am using
> everywhere.
>
> On the Fastmail webmail, I have a "generic" identity which automatically
> change my From to the current subdomain adress.
>
> Is there something I could read about that for Gnus ? I have seen many
> configuration with alias and such (gnus-alias, gnus posting style,
> gnus-harvest, etc.) Which can help in my case ?

With gnus posting styles, you can have such rules like in
INBOX.lists.emacs.gnus, use lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im as my
address.  That's how I use them.  The structure is the same as that for
`gnus-parameter'.

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      `(("nnimap\\+Gmail:"
	 (address "MY-GMAIL-ADDR@gmail.com"))
	("nnimap\\+Fastmail:"
	 (address "MY-FASTMAIL-ADDR@fastmail.fm"))
	("nnimap\\+Uni:"
	 (address "MY-UNI-ADDR@uni-koblenz.de")
	 (signature ,th/gnus-uni-signature))

	(,(rx (or "nntp+Eclipse" "infko." "nnimap\\+Uni:"))
	 (address "MY-UNI-ADDR@uni-koblenz.de")
	 (signature ,th/gnus-uni-signature))

	(,(rx (or (and (opt "de.") (or "comp." "comm.software."))
		  "gnu."
		  "nntp+Gmane:"
		  "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.GNU"
		  "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists."))
	 (address "tsdh@gnu.org"))

	(,(rx "INBOX.mailinglists.d-barf")
	 (address "MY-FASTMAIL-ADDR@fastmail.fm"))

	(,(rx "gmane.comp.printing.ghostscript.")
	 ;; Posting requires whitelist keyword "artifex" spelled backwards.
	 ("X-Fnord" "xefitra"))))

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Reply-to with the same address as it was sent to
@ 2015-11-12 22:57   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-11-12 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im writes:
>
> Hi Xavier,
>
>> I am using Plus addressing and subdomain addressing[1] which permits
>> auto-split of my incoming mails into mail groups.
>>
>> A mail addressed to, say, lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im is put
>> into INBOX.lists.emacs.gnus. This is a neat feature I am using
>> everywhere.
>>
>> On the Fastmail webmail, I have a "generic" identity which automatically
>> change my From to the current subdomain adress.
>>
>> Is there something I could read about that for Gnus ? I have seen many
>> configuration with alias and such (gnus-alias, gnus posting style,
>> gnus-harvest, etc.) Which can help in my case ?
>
> With gnus posting styles, you can have such rules like in
> INBOX.lists.emacs.gnus, use lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im as my
> address.  That's how I use them.  The structure is the same as that for
> `gnus-parameter'.

I would have thought of something less /hackish/ and manual since I have many
groups.

I will try to hack something around this or even better, with gnus-alias.

@ 2015-11-13  2:16 ` Jeffrey DeLeo
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2015-11-13  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I put all my mail groups associated with a particular mail host in one
gnus topic. Set a posting-style for that topic, and it will be in use
whenever you are in one of those mail groups. Posting style lets you set
your address, organization, etc.

* Re: Reply-to with the same address as it was sent to
@ 2015-11-13  4:32   ` lists.emacs.gnus
       [not found]     ` <87io55smq9.fsf@JUbuntu.dharma.lan>
From: lists.emacs.gnus @ 2015-11-13  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jeffrey DeLeo <JeffreyDeLeo@gmail.com> writes:

> I put all my mail groups associated with a particular mail host in one
> gnus topic. Set a posting-style for that topic, and it will be in use
> whenever you are in one of those mail groups. Posting style lets you set
> your address, organization, etc.

I understand but in my case, this won't work.

As I said, I subscribed to all my mailing lists with a different email address
so that, at my IMAP server, this is splitted automatically (no need for me to
write a custom sieve script).

For example, here is a small list of groups from Gnus:

|---------------------------+----------------------|
| Group                     | From header          |
|---------------------------+----------------------|
| INBOX.lists.emacs.help    | lists.emacs.help@    |
| INBOX.lists.emacs.orgmode | lists.emacs.orgmode@ |
| INBOX.lists.emacs.gnus    | lists.emacs.gnus@    |
| INBOX.lists.emacs.source  | lists.emacs.source@  |

each group must have a different From in order for this setup to work.

Regards

@ 2015-11-13  6:38     ` Erik Colson
       [not found]     ` <87io55smq9.fsf@JUbuntu.dharma.lan>
From: Erik Colson @ 2015-11-13  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im writes:

> For example, here is a small list of groups from Gnus:
>
> |---------------------------+----------------------|
> | Group                     | From header          |
> |---------------------------+----------------------|
> | INBOX.lists.emacs.help    | lists.emacs.help@    |
> | INBOX.lists.emacs.orgmode | lists.emacs.orgmode@ |
> | INBOX.lists.emacs.gnus    | lists.emacs.gnus@    |
> | INBOX.lists.emacs.source  | lists.emacs.source@  |
>
> each group must have a different From in order for this setup to work.

Hi Xavier,

I understand your idea to use the adress you got your mail on to
automate replies to a group.
However, that won't work when you want to post directly from the Group
buffer by using C-u m. This command tells gnus to create a new post
using the posting styles for the group your cursor is on.
I think your best option is to use posting styles and use the group
string to create the from-header, since you only have to remove 'INBOX.'
from the beginning and then add '@domain' at the end. As such one
posting style can be enough for all your already subscribed mailing
lists and those to come.

Keep in mind that posting styles work for replies as well as for new
posts!

best
--
erik colson

* [SOLVED] solution included (was: Reply-to with the same address as it was sent to)
       [not found]     ` <87io55smq9.fsf@JUbuntu.dharma.lan>
@ 2015-11-16  5:59       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-11-16  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jeffrey DeLeo <jeffreydeleo@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, I understand now.
>
> I seem to remember reading about something like this - where you could
> set up gnus to use the address email was sent to as the from address
> when replying. But I can't find the note about that at the moment. Don't
> give up! As Erik said though, when composing messages, you would need to
> be in the particular group to have the "from" set appropriately.
>
> Please do post whatever you come up with, thanks.

Ok, after some reading sessions and tests, here is what I came up with:

          ("\\(lists\\|pub\\).*"
           (address (downcase (format "%s@xavier.maillard.im" (gnus-replace-in-string gnus-newsgroup-name
                                                                            "^INBOX\." "")))))))

That works as expected. I just did not understand why `gnu-newsgroup-name' did
not have the select method included in his name.

Regards

-- Xavier.

* Re: [SOLVED] solution included
@ 2015-11-18 18:48         ` Jeffrey DeLeo
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2015-11-18 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im> writes:

> Ok, after some reading sessions and tests, here is what I came up
> with:
>
>           ("\\(lists\\|pub\\).*" (address (downcase (format
> "%s@xavier.maillard.im" (gnus-replace-in-string gnus-newsgroup-name
> "^INBOX\." "")))))))
>
> That works as expected. I just did not understand why
> `gnu-newsgroup-name' did not have the select method included in his
> name.

Hi Xavier - where exactly does this code fit in your gnus setup?
Is this what you are setting the 'to-address' and 'to-list' parameter to
for all your groups?

* Re: [SOLVED] solution included
@ 2015-11-18 21:46           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-11-18 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Jeffrey,

Jeffrey DeLeo <JeffreyDeLeo@gmail.com> writes:

> Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im> writes:
>
>> Ok, after some reading sessions and tests, here is what I came up
>> with:
>>
>>           ("\\(lists\\|pub\\).*" (address (downcase (format
>> "%s@xavier.maillard.im" (gnus-replace-in-string gnus-newsgroup-name
>> "^INBOX\." "")))))))
>>
>> That works as expected. I just did not understand why
>> `gnu-newsgroup-name' did not have the select method included in his
>> name.
>
> Hi Xavier - where exactly does this code fit in your gnus setup?
> Is this what you are setting the 'to-address' and 'to-list' parameter to
> for all your groups?

It is in the `gnus-posting-styles'.
I am using this to set the 'From' header according to the group I am currently
visiting (or when triggering C-u m on the group under point).

Regards

-- Xavier

La liberté est un monument INDESTRUCTIBLE. - Anonymes (Bataclan, Paris 2015).