From: "Austin F. Frank" <austin.frank@gmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: splitting for dunces
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 14:50:24 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi all--

At one point recently Ted sent a working example of using fancy
splitting with the new nnimap, "for future generations" [1].  This ended
up leading to some changes that gave us at least two new ways to use
fancy splitting.  We now have the possibility of defining
nnimap-split-methods-fancy [2] (not mentioned in the info documentation,
but `nnimap-split-fancy' is? [3]) or giving a fancy split specification
directly to nnimap-split-methods [4].

I've tried to get splitting working using several variations of these
variables, but have had no luck.  Rather than me reporting each of my
boneheaded attempts, would someone be willing to post a working fancy
split example of the sort

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "dc"
                      (nnimap-address "localhost")
                      (nnimap-stream ssl)
                      (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                      ;; please tell me what to do next!))

While it's true that there are some examples of fancy splitting in the
documentation [5], most of the nnimap ones say to see the documentation
for nnmail, and none of the examples show how to specify fancy splitting
in a way that will apply to only one server -- there are lots of
examples of splitting rules, but none of them tell me how to set one and
only one select method to use those rules.

Sorry if there are obvious parts of the documentation that I have
missed!

Thanks for any help!
/au

[1] <87k4m3i19x.fsf@lifelogs.com>
[2] <m3pqvvkogq.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
[3] (info "(gnus) Client-Side IMAP Splitting")
[4] <m3bp7doe3m.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
[5] (info "(gnus) Fancy Mail Splitting")

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net