* mail vs news
@ 2015-12-15 22:53 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-12-15 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16  0:13 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2015-12-16  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: ding

Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im> writes:

> I know emails and news are two different beasts outside Gnus Towers but I am
> looking for informations explaining how these two /beasts/ are viewed inside
> Gnus -i.e what are the mail-centric-features vs nntp-features.
>
> For example, does (adaptative) scoring work for both world ? Does expiration
> work asame ? etc.

Basically email is a special case of news, and most things work
similarly.  I don't use adaptive scoring, but I use the usual scoring
stuff all the time in nnimap groups.  I use topic mode in the groups
buffer.  I also use expiration, but auto-expire and total-expire, in
nnimap groups.  In this case the messages (articles, gnus calls them)
are actually removed from IMAP server.  The only funny part is that
expiration happens when exiting a group, so it's somewhat async and in
arrears, but in terms of keeping messages around for a while and then
pruning, it works for me.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16  5:01   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-12-16  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16  6:21     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2015-12-16  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im> writes:

> Thanks for your feedback. I am considering to go « full NNTP » for all my
> mailing-lists needs (as long as it is possible). For example, I know gnu.*
> hierarchy offers many groups I regularly read without having to write a line
> of sieve script or without subscription.

You know about gmane?

http://gmane.org/

Almost certainly you do! but worth flagging it up in this thread.

atb

Glyn

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16  9:22       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glyn Millington; +Cc: ding

Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com> writes:

> Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im> writes:
>
>> Thanks for your feedback. I am considering to go « full NNTP » for all my
>> mailing-lists needs (as long as it is possible). For example, I know gnu.*
>> hierarchy offers many groups I regularly read without having to write a line
>> of sieve script or without subscription.
>

> You know about gmane?
>
> http://gmane.org/
>
> Almost certainly you do! but worth flagging it up in this thread.

I had a similar setup, but moved back to mailing lists because of

1) many groups (particularly but not exclusively google groups) I can
not post to via gmane but I have to use mail. And in many cases, the
posts to gmane simply disappear in these cases - any suggestions on how
I can solve this (posting to via mail instead of gmane), and I am likely
to move back to gmane for all mailing lists

2) archiving of the posts as a ressource to search is much faster when
using offline storage of the posts and notmuch for indexing. I can
search gmane from gnus as well, but I kind of prefer notmuch.

Now I am back to all lists I might write to are mailing lists again.

As I said - the main

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16 13:07     ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2015-12-16 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 16/12/2015 06:01 +0100, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> I am considering to go « full NNTP » for all my mailing-lists needs
> (as long as it is possible).

How is it better?

I switched in the opposite direction some time ago.  Mainly due to the
reason that usually free software projects use mailing lists as official
channel, not a newsgroup - so why use mail-to-news translation?

Filipp

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16 15:44       ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2015-12-16 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> I am considering to go « full NNTP » for all my mailing-lists needs
>> (as long as it is possible).

> How is it better?

> I switched in the opposite direction some time ago.  Mainly due to the
> reason that usually free software projects use mailing lists as official
> channel, not a newsgroup - so why use mail-to-news translation?

Complete archives, your MTA/MUA must only handle those mes-
sages that you actually read, etc.

Tim

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16 22:06       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-12-16 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16 22:08       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-12-16 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-16 22:11         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-12-16 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17  8:33           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-17  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Xavier Maillard <lists.emacs.gnus@xavier.maillard.im> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Glyn Millington <glyn.millington@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You know about gmane?
>>>
>>> http://gmane.org/>
>>> Almost certainly you do! but worth flagging it up in this thread.
>>
>> I had a similar setup, but moved back to mailing lists because of
>>
>> 1) many groups (particularly but not exclusively google groups) I can
>> not post to via gmane but I have to use mail. And in many cases, the
>> posts to gmane simply disappear in these cases - any suggestions on how
>> I can solve this (posting to via mail instead of gmane), and I am likely
>> to move back to gmane for all mailing lists
>
> If I understand correctly, you want to automatically switch to a mail-message
> when posting on certain gmane groups instead of news-message, right ?
> Dunno if it could work but did you try specifying `gnus-parameters' for these
> groups ?

Yes - exactly (as pointed out in my question here). I will look into
these later today.

>> 2) archiving of the posts as a ressource to search is much faster when
>> using offline storage of the posts and notmuch for indexing. I can
>> search gmane from gnus as well, but I kind of prefer notmuch.
>
> I dropped notmuch entirely; too much « work » to maintain its index and I
> always forget the query syntax altogether ;)

Maintenance: I use offlineimap to sync my gmail account to a local
dovecot imap server, and after each sync, "notmuch" -new is called - so
no maintenance on my side.

query syntax: This is tricky, but I usually use simple searches which
are no problem via the emacs interface.

And I am sure the gmane search syntax is also not to simple?

Oh - one other advantage of mailing list: I can read them on all my
devices. OK - I have to filter them by using rules on the server (gmail
in my case), but than I can read them from all devices (gnus, web gmail,
iPhone, whatever I use t access my gmail account).

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17 10:31             ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-12-17 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer writes:

> And I am sure the gmane search syntax is also not to simple?

How are the syntaxes complex? (I don't know the syntax, even though I
use both, so I am asking out of curiosity.)

(Both notmuch and the Gmane search is built on Xapian, by the way.)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I'm so indie my shirt don't fit"                            Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17 11:02             ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-12-17 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Maintenance: I use offlineimap to sync my gmail account to a local
> dovecot imap server, and after each sync, "notmuch" -new is called - so
> no maintenance on my side.

sorry for the noise... but is it somehow possible to see your dovecot
config? I never managed to run a local dovecot imap server in
archlinux...

many thanks in advance!

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17 11:13               ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-17 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Maintenance: I use offlineimap to sync my gmail account to a local
>> dovecot imap server, and after each sync, "notmuch" -new is called - so
>> no maintenance on my side.
>
> sorry for the noise... but is it somehow possible to see your dovecot
> config? I never managed to run a local dovecot imap server in
> archlinux...
>
> many thanks in advance!

Here's my output of "doveconf -n". This is all the configuration I've
got, apart from /etc/dovecot/passwd.

# 2.2.21 (5345f22): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 4.2.5-1-ARCH i686
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_plugins = "fts fts_lucene"
passdb {
  args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/passwd
  driver = passwd-file
}
plugin {
  fts = lucene
  fts_autoindex = yes
  fts_lucene = whitespace_chars=@.
}
protocols = imap
ssl = no
userdb {
  args = uid=eric gid=users home=/home/eric/.mail/%d/%n username_format=%u
  default_fields = mail=maildir:/home/eric/.mail/%d/%n/mail
  driver = static
}

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17 11:17                 ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-12-17 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>>
>>> Maintenance: I use offlineimap to sync my gmail account to a local
>>> dovecot imap server, and after each sync, "notmuch" -new is called - so
>>> no maintenance on my side.
>>
>> sorry for the noise... but is it somehow possible to see your dovecot
>> config? I never managed to run a local dovecot imap server in
>> archlinux...
>>
>> many thanks in advance!
>
> Here's my output of "doveconf -n". This is all the configuration I've
> got, apart from /etc/dovecot/passwd.

thanks! this is local imap server, isn't it?

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17 14:31               ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-17 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Sosa Mayor; +Cc: ding

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Maintenance: I use offlineimap to sync my gmail account to a local
>> dovecot imap server, and after each sync, "notmuch" -new is called - so
>> no maintenance on my side.
>
> sorry for the noise... but is it somehow possible to see your dovecot
> config? I never managed to run a local dovecot imap server in
> archlinux...

sure - had it working on Linux and now on OS X. AS far as I remember, I
just installed it (on OXS X vie homebrew) and started it. The only
change:

set my

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

in the conf.d/10-mail.conf file

That was it.

The actual configuration is the default.

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17 14:32                   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-17 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Sosa Mayor; +Cc: ding

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

>> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

>>> sorry for the noise... but is it somehow possible to see your dovecot
>>> config? I never managed to run a local dovecot imap server in
>>> archlinux...
>>>
>>> many thanks in advance!
>>
>> Here's my output of "doveconf -n". This is all the configuration I've
>> got, apart from /etc/dovecot/passwd.
>>

> thanks! this is local imap server, isn't it?

Mine yes. Here is my output from the command:

,----
`----

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17 14:54                     ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-12-17 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

[...]

>> thanks! this is local imap server, isn't it?
>
> Mine yes. Here is my output from the command:

thanks!

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-17 23:34                   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-17 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

>> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

>>> sorry for the noise... but is it somehow possible to see your dovecot
>>> config? I never managed to run a local dovecot imap server in
>>> archlinux...
>>>
>>> many thanks in advance!
>>
>> Here's my output of "doveconf -n". This is all the configuration I've
>> got, apart from /etc/dovecot/passwd.
>>

> thanks! this is local imap server, isn't it?

Right, then Gnus connects via (for instance, for this email address):

(nnimap "EA"
	(nnimap-address "localhost")
	(nnimap-stream network)
	(nnimap-authenticator login)
	(nnimap-user "eric@ericabrahamsen.net"))

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-18  9:48                     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>>> Here's my output of "doveconf -n". This is all the configuration I've
>>> got, apart from /etc/dovecot/passwd.
>>>

>> thanks! this is local imap server, isn't it?
>
> Right, then Gnus connects via (for instance, for this email address):
>
> (nnimap "EA"
> 	(nnimap-address "localhost")
> 	(nnimap-stream network)
> 	(nnimap-authenticator login)
> 	(nnimap-user "eric@ericabrahamsen.net"))

Or like this:

(nnimap "Maildir"
        (nnimap-stream shell)
        (nnimap-shell-program "/usr/local/opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Maildir")))

If you do it like this, it is not necessary to run the imap server
daemon - no worries about security. And if I am correc=ct, you don't
need to configure dovecot with the conf file, as you specify the
parameters in the commandline.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-18 15:18                     ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-12-18 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

@ 2015-12-18 15:19                       ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2015-12-18 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

[...]
> Or like this:
>
> (nnimap "Maildir"
>         (nnimap-stream shell)
>         (nnimap-shell-program "/usr/local/opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Maildir")))
>
> If you do it like this, it is not necessary to run the imap server
> daemon - no worries about security. And if I am correc=ct, you don't
> need to configure dovecot with the conf file, as you specify the
> parameters in the commandline.

thanks. I'll give it a try in the holidays days.

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-19  2:24                       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-19  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

>> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

>>> thanks! this is local imap server, isn't it?
>>
>> Right, then Gnus connects via (for instance, for this email address):
>>
>> (nnimap "EA"
>> 	(nnimap-address "localhost")
>> 	(nnimap-stream network)
>> 	(nnimap-authenticator login)
>> 	(nnimap-user "eric@ericabrahamsen.net"))
>>

> Or like this:
>
> (nnimap "Maildir"
>         (nnimap-stream shell)
>         (nnimap-shell-program "/usr/local/opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Maildir")))
>
> If you do it like this, it is not necessary to run the imap server
> daemon - no worries about security. And if I am correc=ct, you don't
> need to configure dovecot with the conf file, as you specify the
> parameters in the commandline.

Right -- I was originally doing that (single dovecot invocations), and
wrote the blog post above because I thought that I needed an
always-running daemon in order for FTS indexing to work. Later on I
discovered it's not really necessary, but on the other hand the daemon
hasn't bothered me any, so...

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-19  8:35                         ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2015-12-19  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> Right -- I was originally doing that (single dovecot invocations), and
> wrote the blog post above because I thought that I needed an
> always-running daemon in order for FTS indexing to work. Later on I
> discovered it's not really necessary, but on the other hand the daemon
> hasn't bothered me any, so...

dovecot has fts indexed with lucene or solr. how are you using nnmaildir
fts ? is it indexed search ?

best
--
erik colson

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-20  3:36                           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-12-20  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> writes:

>> Right -- I was originally doing that (single dovecot invocations), and
>> wrote the blog post above because I thought that I needed an
>> always-running daemon in order for FTS indexing to work. Later on I
>> discovered it's not really necessary, but on the other hand the daemon
>> hasn't bothered me any, so...
>
> dovecot has fts indexed with lucene or solr. how are you using nnmaildir
> fts ? is it indexed search ?

I don't use nnmaildir at all -- the whole point of using nnimap is that
dovecot then does the searching for you? The backend is specified as
nnimap, and nnir does the rest.

* Re: mail vs news
@ 2015-12-20 13:51                             ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2015-12-20 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> I don't use nnmaildir at all -- the whole point of using nnimap is that
> dovecot then does the searching for you? The backend is specified as
> nnimap, and nnir does the rest.

then I misunderstood.. as you wrote you didn't need the dovecot daemon..

best
--
erik colson