* Vcard 3.0 attachment
@ 2008-12-08 10:06 Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-12-08 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dear All,

In this article: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.luatex/235 or
gmane.comp.tex.luatex:235

The vcard attachment could not be displayed inline(?) in gnus probably
because it uses version 3.0 format.

The vcard.el in Emacs addressbook¹ has support for 3.0 but unfortunately
it did not work with gnus last time I tried it.

Can somehow this be reconciled between the two projects? Thank you.

Footnotes:
¹  http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/addressbook
--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

* Re: Vcard 3.0 attachment
@ 2010-08-30 19:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-30 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> In this article: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.luatex/235 or
> gmane.comp.tex.luatex:235
>
> The vcard attachment could not be displayed inline(?) in gnus probably
> because it uses version 3.0 format.
>
> The vcard.el in Emacs addressbook¹ has support for 3.0 but unfortunately
> it did not work with gnus last time I tried it.

Since neither vcard.el is actually included in Emacs, there doesn't seem
to be much ... demand for the feature.

* Re: Vcard 3.0 attachment
@ 2010-08-30 20:24   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-08-30 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In this article: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.luatex/235 or
>> gmane.comp.tex.luatex:235
>>
>> The vcard attachment could not be displayed inline(?) in gnus probably
>> because it uses version 3.0 format.
>>
>> The vcard.el in Emacs addressbook¹ has support for 3.0 but unfortunately
>> it did not work with gnus last time I tried it.
>
> Since neither vcard.el is actually included in Emacs, there doesn't seem
> to be much ... demand for the feature.

More likely people gave up hoping vcard support would ever really work
properly. A little like syncing bbdb with gmail contacts.

* Re: Vcard 3.0 attachment
@ 2010-08-31  3:37   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-31  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2010-08-30 20:56 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Since neither vcard.el is actually included in Emacs, there doesn't
> seem to be much ... demand for the feature.

Between then and now I cannot remember receiving a vcard attachment so
you are right.

Leo

* Re: Vcard 3.0 attachment
@ 2010-08-31  4:40     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-08-31  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: ding

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-08-30 20:56 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Since neither vcard.el is actually included in Emacs, there doesn't
>> seem to be much ... demand for the feature.
>
> Between then and now I cannot remember receiving a vcard attachment so
> you are right.

That doesnt diminish the issue that maybe others might want it. VCards
are quite common. It was quite a shock to me, for example, to discover
that Android phones prior to Froyo dont support them natively from the
built in mail app.

* Re: Vcard 3.0 attachment
@ 2010-08-31 10:09       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-31 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: ding

On 2010-08-31 05:40 +0100, Richard Riley wrote:
>> Between then and now I cannot remember receiving a vcard attachment so
>> you are right.
>
> That doesnt diminish the issue that maybe others might want it. VCards
> are quite common. It was quite a shock to me, for example, to discover
> that Android phones prior to Froyo dont support them natively from the
> built in mail app.

Certainly, I don't mean vcard is unimportant. I think there was once
discussion (probably initiated by me) to include a vcard library and
people seem to be in favour of it.

Since the AddressBook project is not going anywhere any time soon I use
Noah Friedman's vcard.el instead.

Leo