From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Display something besides Subject line on request
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 13:14:03 -0800	[thread overview]

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> Further the Keywords line I may have added by gnus-edit-article will
>> not be in the nov file.  Unless I've run nnml-generate-nov... after
>> adding it and have code in .gnus to include keywords in the nov file.
>
> Mostly unrelated to your problem, but nnmaildir stores article
> modtimes along with NOV data, so if an article has been edited, its
> NOV data is automatically updated as well.  Maybe this could be added
> to nnml.

Thanks for the info Paul,

You noted it isn't really related to what I want to do.  For example:
Even if the nov was updated that would have nothing to do with making
keywords header appear instead of Subject header in summary lines.

Unless you mean it would be more available since it is in .overview.
That may be a factor especially for speed.  But I'm thinking this
would be better if it was not required to be in .overview.  That is,
this function would plow thru the messages in the limited buffer, and
find the Keywords lines in real time.  Then display that instead of
Subject.

Not in the displayed message but in the summary lines. Over time that
would probably be faster since it would lack the overhead of having to
find and keep another field in .overview.  It would only happen on
demand.

Now about on tap switching of summary lines.... any body have a
comment or advice?

If it can't be done with existing functions... then I will donate the
two keyboards that will be worn out finding the right 8000+ lines of
code.. . .he he.  Anybody want a keyboard?