* Problems with unlabeled mails on Gmail IMAP
@ 2022-01-04 16:19 Didier Verna
       [not found] ` <CADoYgq-cJAfa=erCo-vqn9jYig5zOupOh74V_wCeqneQG0ft=A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Didier Verna @ 2022-01-04 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

  Hello,

after hitting the storage limit on Gmail (and being rather surprised by
it), I started to investigate on how to make room, and I discovered
something very strange. I had *crateloads* of unlabeled emails, emails
that would normally have been classified somewhere thanks to
nnmail-split-methods, and would have ended up being deleted after a
while.

Now that I'm watching this very closely, I can see this happening almost
in real time. For example, I have an nnmail split method that redirects
mailing list traffic to list-specific labels. I know that the split
method works because I can see new emails going directly to the right
place after hitting 'g'. However, when I go the the gmail web interface
and search for has:nouserlabels, I can /also/ see some emails from that
(those) list(s), with no tag, and also not in the inbox anymore. So Gnus
doesn't see them anywhere.

Now if I mark those messages as unread and move them back to inbox (from
the web interface), then after hitting 'g', Gnus will see them, and 'B
t' or 'B r' work correctly.

I'd appreciate it if anyone understands what might be going on...

As a side note, something even more puzzling is that has:nouserlabels
shows me several messages which /do/ have user labels. I'm even more at
a loss here. Note that I don't have any filtering rule on gmail itself.
Only nnmail split methods.

Thanks, and happy (or better) 22 !

--
@-quartet / ¡En Seguida! live au Sunside, 9 Février 2022, 21h30 !
https://www.sunset-sunside.com/2022/2/artiste/2101/7899/

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info

* Re: Problems with unlabeled mails on Gmail IMAP
       [not found] ` <CADoYgq-cJAfa=erCo-vqn9jYig5zOupOh74V_wCeqneQG0ft=A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-01-05 10:19   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2022-01-05 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: Gnus Beta Testers

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> wrote:

> In gnus did you subscribe the Gmail All Mail group? Gnus should find
> everything there.

  Yes indeed. Sorry, saying "Gnus doesn't see them anywhere" was an
  incorrect formulation. I meant, anywhere, where the auto expiration
  rule should apply. From All Mail, it's too complicated (if at all
  possible?) to recover mails that were not split correctly from the
  rest.

  I can of course regularly select the most recent "All Mail"'s and
  respool them like crazy, but that's really just a tedious workaround.