From: dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg)
Subject: Re: extra .ATT attachments?
Date: 16 Sep 1999 14:28:47 -0400	[thread overview]

It looks like the message info is out of date.  All those `forward'
variables are obsoleted by the MIME forwarding.  I complained about
this a while back but was apparently unconvincing.  In my case, a
message that I forwarded to someone had no signature on it so that the
inlined message/rfc822 part appeared to the recipient as if I wrote it
due to the placement of my sig in the forward (does that parse?)
Here's what it looked like:

headers
my intro text
the inlined message
my signature

with no visible separators (the recipient was using netscape; others
have told me this is user error on the part of the recipient who
should have noticed a font change or some such for the inlined
message; I never checked it out).  Anyway it appeared that my
signature was part of the forwarded message, which in this particular
case was not so much trouble, but it could be in others.  When ever I
forward a message now, I manually move my sig above the forwarded
message.  It probably wouldn't be too hard to do something with advice
or maybe even one of the message hooks to automate this.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730