* Message access from gnus-posting-styles?
@ 1999-11-16 15:37 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1999-11-16 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not very familiar with the guts of pgnus, so I hope I'm just
missing something.

For a while now, I've been using gnus-posting-styles and a
function to generate my mail signature, like this:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
	 (name "Norman Walsh")
	 (address "ndw@nwalsh.com")
	 ("X-URL" "http://nwalsh.com/")
	 (signature (mail-signature "~/.signature.default")))))

(Obviously there's more to it in real life, but that's the idea)

Now, here's my question. I want to make the content of the signature
a little more dynamic (I'll spare you the details), so I'd like to
know what I can get access to when mail-signature is called in the
course of processing gnus-posting styles.

In particular, can I get access to the headers? If the message
is being created as a reply, can I get the address(es) of the
recipients of the message?

They don't appear to be in the current buffer when
mail-signature is called, but I might have missed something.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | What good is a can of worms if you
http://nwalsh.com/                 | never open it?--Bob Arning

* Re: Message access from gnus-posting-styles?
@ 1999-11-16 17:53 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-11-16 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In particular, can I get access to the headers? If the message is
> being created as a reply, can I get the address(es) of the
> recipients of the message?

> They don't appear to be in the current buffer when mail-signature is
> called, but I might have missed something.

They're not, but that doesn't mean you can't get them...

Here's a snippet from my gnus-posting-styles that should give you an
idea of how to do what you want:

    (gnus-article-reply
     (signature-file
      (let* ((net
              (save-excursion
                (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer)
                (car
                 (cdr
                  (mail-extract-address-components
                   (message-fetch-field
                    "From"))))))
             (rec (car (bbdb-search
                        (bbdb-records) nil nil
                        net nil nil)))
             (sig (if rec
                      (bbdb-record-getprop
                       rec 'signature))))
        (cond (sig sig)
              ((string-match "@.*\\.?mitre\\.org" net)
               "~/.signature-mitre-i")
              ((string-match "nnml:personal.*"
                              gnus-newsgroup-name)
               "~/.signature-personal")
              (t "~/.signature-mitre"))))

What does it do?  If the message is a reply (that's the
gnus-article-reply part), set signature file in a particular way.  It
goes to the article buffer and gets the From line (who I'm replying
to; I ignore Reply-To for this purpose; haven't been burned yet, but I
know it will happen :-)  Then I look for that person in my bbdb.  If I
find her, I look for a signature-file record in bbdb.  If there is one
I use it, otherwise I set signature file based on whether the person
is someone I work with or if the gnusgroup is one I use for non-work
mail and finally, if all else fails, I put my work address in the
sig.  I do have to change that last one by hand occasionally, but
haven't come up with a perfect formula for determining it otherwise.

Hope this helps,
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730