First ignore the name in the frame params. I use that to get fvwm2 to give the window a specific icon in my fvwm2 icon manager. The key is the if statement. The message config is used when you do an m in either the group or summary buffers to generate a new mail. So if there's a live summary buffer, I assume I'm in summary mode and I enforce the summary configuration in the main frame and put the message buffer in a new one. If there's no summary, I enforce the group configuration on the main frame. Similar for the post configuration. For reply, reply-yank, forward and draft I do essentially the same thing except there's no need to check for summary mode. In those cases I force article configuration (except for draft which is summary) on the main frame and put the message in the new frame. Here's reply-yank to illustrate it.