* scoring down
@ 1998-03-15 21:48 Harry Putnam
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Whatever experience I have with scoring had always been to score up, for
one reason or another.  Never really tried scoring down.  Recently had
the expeience of having a poster in one group posting forwarded messages
with outlook express.  Those postings are singularly obnoxious as they
insert into the wrong thread and mess up any threading there. The text
is dense with no paragraphs and the subject matter is usually very
trivial.

Well I decided to score this author down and did so.  Not sure what I
expected, but next time I opened the group this same authors posts are
nicely marked with a Y and showing read, but here they still are.  If
scoring down doesn't keep articles from showing when the group is opened
then what is the point of it?  I guess I thought that when gnus did the
scoring on opening a group that those marked Y and read would not be
shown.  I mean I had hoped a group showing 80 unread but 10 of those get
scored down when the scoring happens, would only show 70 in the summary.

I can think of many uses of scoring up but, mainly to provide further
sorting with 'limited' views.  Not many come to mind for scoring down
since those articles will be marked as read whether they are scored down
or not, when I exit the group with 'Z c Y'.  So if it still requires
further action to hide undesirable posts then what is the advantage of
scoring down?

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: scoring down
@ 1998-03-16  7:42   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-16  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Harry> Well I decided to score this author down and did so.  Not
>   Harry> sure what I expected, but next time I opened the group this
>   Harry> same authors posts are nicely marked with a Y and showing
>   Harry> read, but here they still are.
>
> Does typing M-g (from the summary buffer) make them disappear?

Trying this out just now on this group.  Typing M-g caused a full exit
from the group, reselection of number of articles to view, but does
remove the downscored articles.  However, had I entered and exited, then
re-entered, those articles would have been removed with out scoring them
down, so still missing the usefullness of this.

Trying this in a few groups, sometimes M-g causes a full exit and re-entry,
other times not.  Hard to see what makes the difference.

I've also notice typing C-u Z R when in summary buffer, will sometimes
just bring up all articles, other times will cause a full exit first.

Is it a matter of which backend the group is under, or the readedness
state of remaining articles or what?

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: scoring down
@ 1998-03-16 12:01 ` Kai Grossjohann
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-03-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Harry> Well I decided to score this author down and did so.  Not
  Harry> sure what I expected, but next time I opened the group this
  Harry> same authors posts are nicely marked with a Y and showing
  Harry> read, but here they still are.

Does typing M-g (from the summary buffer) make them disappear?

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: scoring down
@ 1998-03-16 15:09 ` Robert Bihlmeyer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-03-16 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Harry> Well I decided to score this author down and did so. Not sure
 Harry> what I expected, but next time I opened the group this same
 Harry> authors posts are nicely marked with a Y and showing read, but
 Harry> here they still are.

That's how it works.

I have my threads sorted by score, so the low-runners are on the
bottom, out of the way.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: scoring down
@ 1998-03-16 15:27     ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-03-16 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> >   Harry> Well I decided to score this author down and did so.  Not
> >   Harry> sure what I expected, but next time I opened the group this
> >   Harry> same authors posts are nicely marked with a Y and showing
> >   Harry> read, but here they still are.
> >
> > Does typing M-g (from the summary buffer) make them disappear?
>
> Trying this out just now on this group.  Typing M-g caused a full exit
> from the group, reselection of number of articles to view, but does
> remove the downscored articles.  However, had I entered and exited, then
> re-entered, those articles would have been removed with out scoring them
> down, so still missing the usefullness of this.

Try just using Z R without a prefix.

> Trying this in a few groups, sometimes M-g causes a full exit and re-entry,
> other times not.

I think you'll find that they both exit then re-enter the group.

Hard to see what makes the difference.

The number of unread articles in the group.

> I've also notice typing C-u Z R when in summary buffer, will sometimes
> just bring up all articles, other times will cause a full exit first.
>
> Is it a matter of which backend the group is under, or the readedness
> state of remaining articles or what?

In this case the total number of articles in the group.

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: scoring down
@ 1998-03-16 15:42 ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 1998-03-16 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well I decided to score this author down and did so.  Not sure what I
> expected, but next time I opened the group this same authors posts are
> nicely marked with a Y and showing read, but here they still are.

>From the manual:

Score File Format

   Anyway, if you'd like to dig into it yourself, here's an example:

     (("from"
       ("Lars Ingebrigtsen" -10000)
       ("Per Abrahamsen")
       ("larsi\\|lmi" -50000 nil R))
      ("subject"
       ("Ding is Badd" nil 728373))
      ("xref"
       ("alt.politics" -1000 728372 s))
      ("lines"
       (2 -100 nil <))
      (mark 0)
      (expunge -1000)
      (mark-and-expunge -10)
      (read-only nil)
      (orphan -10)
      (adapt t)
      (files "/hom/larsi/News/gnu.SCORE")
      (exclude-files "all.SCORE")
      (local (gnus-newsgroup-auto-expire t)
             (gnus-summary-make-false-root empty))
      (eval (ding)))

`expunge'
     The value of this entry should be a number.  Any articles with a
     score lower than this number will be removed from the summary
     buffer.

`mark-and-expunge'
     The value of this entry should be a number.  Any articles with a
     score lower than this number will be marked as read and removed
     from the summary buffer.

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: scoring down
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-03-16 15:56 ` Harald Meland
From: Harald Meland @ 1998-03-16 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Harry Putnam]

| I mean I had hoped a group showing 80 unread but 10 of those get
| scored down when the scoring happens, would only show 70 in the
| summary.

This is the difference between "mark" and "expunge".  It's all rather
nicely explained in the manual, IMHO -- section "Score File Format".

--
Harald

* Re: scoring down
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-03-16 16:43 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-03-16 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

There's two ways to eliminate the Y marked articles.  In the summary
buffer type 'x' which will clear out all read articles and Y is
considered a read mark.  To get rid of things automatically put an
expunge statement in your score file with an appropriate score below
which you don't want to see things.  I use a combination of these.  I
set the expunge below number to a hugely low score (-2000) because
adaptive scoring doesn't seem to get that low and I'd rather have the
option to decide that adaptive scoring was wrong.  When I want to
eliminate someone or some subject I set the score to -2500.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: dsg@mitre.org