After watching this conversation go on for a bit, I finally decided to try again to read an encrypted message with gnus. First I updated to the latest CVS (as of about 20010806 0900 EDT). I opened the message, ran W s and was prompted for my key file and then the passphrase for it. So far so good. But then came the attached backtrace. Is this a result of my running an older XEmacs? Is there some package I can update? Upgrading XEmacs is non-trivial for me at work, at least on the machine I want to use for mail Thanks, -- Dave Goldberg dsg@world.std.com