* How to just save a group of messages to a file?
@ 1999-05-13 13:34 Rupa Schomaker (list)
From: Rupa Schomaker (list) @ 1999-05-13 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lets say that I have 100 or so messages that I just want to save to a
file (whether mailbox format or not).  Ok, that sounds easy.  About
half of them are large (100+k) HTML messages that may or may not be
formatted correctly.

I tried:

1) process mark the messages and use Xo -- worked up to the point I
   came across and HTML message.  pgnus decides to render it with w3
   before saving.  HTML is badly formated, w3 stops, the save stops. :(
   Not to mention that the message is a big monster table so it would
   take about 3 minutes to render (we already know this though).

2) Select the messages and use Of -- I'm asked for each file where I'd
   like to save it.  Why can't I just say "use this file for everything"?
   So, I start hitting enter for everything and it goes to the next
   HTML message and procedes to try to render it and fail. :(

These messages are in an IMAP message store, so I can't just copy 'em
out (well, I could but not easily).  What am I missing (just want to
save the bytes that are in the messages to a file, no rendering or
interpreting or anything else)?

--
Rupa (rupa@rupa.com for normal email)
Please don't email duplicate replies.

* Re: How to just save a group of messages to a file?
@ 1999-05-13 13:53 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-05-13 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lets say that I have 100 or so messages that I just want to save to
> a file (whether mailbox format or not).  Ok, that sounds easy.
> About half of them are large (100+k) HTML messages that may or may
> not be formatted correctly.
Two ways I have done this sort of thing:

1: process mark the articles and then O-s to create a SOUP packet.
There's an option (sorry it's been a long time since I've done this so
I don't recall exactly what it is) to have the SOUP packet be
generated in mbox format.  You don't need to use all the nnsoup
stuff.  That way.

2: create an nnmbox group and then process mark and B-c the articles
to it.

Neither O-s nor B-c reads the articles so w3 won't get called to
render them during the copy process.

hth,
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730