I had this problem eons ago. Clicking on a URL button calls eventually calls browse-url-netscape like I want, but doesn't cause it to pop up a new navigator window. At that time I used tm, and I had to hack tm to make it work. I reported it as a bug and I *thought* my fixes made it into tm-7.106 but I could be misremembering. Anyway, they definitely didn't make it into the tm shipped with xemacs. However today I (finally!) installed pgnus 0.53 and stopped using tm. Sure enough, I've got that same problem. My `fix' was to defadvice gnus-button-url and gnus-button-embedded-url to honor browse-url-new-window-p. I think it would be nice to have that simple change made to the source, though.