* Message, Gnus and bbdb
@ 1997-03-10 16:28 David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-03-10 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using Kai's message-x for quite some time now.  I had made
my own function for doing completion using Peter Galbraith's
e-mh-alias package.  As I am cleaning out the last vestiges of MH in
my Gnus usage, last week I decided to give bbdb a try.  I reset
message-x to use bbdb-complete-name for the to and cc headers.  One
thing I saw in the bbdb info that interested me was the ability to use
a mail-alias property to maintain mailing lists.  Unfortunately I
can't seem to get bbdb-complete-name to recognize the names I put in
these aliases, so while I can do completion/alias expansion on
individuals, my lists are not available to me.  I realize I could just
make separate entries for the lists, but that seems wrong somehow...

On another note, I don't understand how the bbdb auto-creation feature
is supposed to work.  I've added a call to my gnus-select-group-hook
such that a few of my nnml groups have bbdb/news-auto-create-p turned
on.  I can verify that that works (that is, the variable is properly
set to t in those groups, nil in all the others).  However, when I
read new messages in these groups, nothing seems to happen with bbdb.
I can type : or ; and be prompted to create an entry for the current
message.  What am I missing to get the automatic stuff?  Or am I just
misunderstanding what's supposed to happen?

Any advice greatly appreiciated.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Message, Gnus and bbdb
@ 1997-03-10 18:23 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-03-10 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg writes:

> Unfortunately I can't seem to get bbdb-complete-name to recognize
> the names I put in these aliases, so while I can do completion/alias
> expansion on individuals, my lists are not available to me.

You fixed the bug in bbdb.el that erroneously binds bbdb-complete-name
to mail-mode-map instead of message-mode-map, right?
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Message, Gnus and bbdb
@ 1997-03-10 18:37   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-03-10 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You fixed the bug in bbdb.el that erroneously binds
> bbdb-complete-name to mail-mode-map instead of message-mode-map,
> right?

Seems to me I don't need to.  I'm using message-x, which properly
binds tab completion in the to and cc fields to bbdb-complete-name.
The problem is that bbdb-complete-name only looks at the name and net
fields in the database.  I'm hoping there's some easy way to get it to
take into account the mail-alias field as well.

Thanks,

--

@ 1997-03-11  2:08 ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1997-03-11  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@linus.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> a mail-alias property to maintain mailing lists.  Unfortunately I
> can't seem to get bbdb-complete-name to recognize the names I put in
> these aliases, so while I can do completion/alias expansion on
> individuals, my lists are not available to me.  I realize I could just
> make separate entries for the lists, but that seems wrong somehow...

	mail-alias entries are expanded via abbrev.  So just hit SPC or
anything like that after it.  I use them both for people I mail often
and occasionally for lists (but a real list is so much nicer :).

> On another note, I don't understand how the bbdb auto-creation feature
> is supposed to work.  I've added a call to my gnus-select-group-hook
> such that a few of my nnml groups have bbdb/news-auto-create-p turned
> on.  I can verify that that works (that is, the variable is properly
> set to t in those groups, nil in all the others).  However, when I
> read new messages in these groups, nothing seems to happen with bbdb.
> I can type : or ; and be prompted to create an entry for the current
> message.  What am I missing to get the automatic stuff?  Or am I just
> misunderstanding what's supposed to happen?

You know, I think I just noticed that it hasn't been working for me
recently.  *pokes around*

Hmm, gnus-article-prepare-hook is empty.  It should not be.  I note that
bbdb-insinuate-gnus also sticks an entry in gnus-save-newsrc-hook, which
is still there.  And calling bbdb-insinuate-gnus now gets the right
value.   I don't see gnus overwriting that value, hmm.  I notice that
you're using tm too.  Hmm, I see that tm explicitly removes any
occurance of bbdb/gnus-udpate-record and seems to replace it with
tm-bbdb/update-record added to gnus-article-display-hook.  Okie, that's
there.  Oh, it uses tm-bbdb/auto-create-p, not bbdb/news-auto-create-p.

So there you go, make tm-bbdb/auto-create-p t.  *changes his .gnus*

I think I'm going to scream now.

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_

* Re: Message, Gnus and bbdb
@ 1997-03-11 16:44   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-03-11 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 	mail-alias entries are expanded via abbrev.  So just hit SPC
> or anything like that after it.

I guess I worded my problem poorly.  I do get alias expansion if I
type in the whole alias followed by a space.  What I really want is
completion on the alias names.

> So there you go, make tm-bbdb/auto-create-p t.  *changes his .gnus*

Yup, that fixed that problem.  Thanks!