From: david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg)
Subject: Re: Problem with smime-CA-directory
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:55:42 -0500	[thread overview]

One thing I found strange in my environment at work is that following
the instructions in smime.el for creating the link (openssl verify
-noout -hash -in <file>) creates a hash that works great for verifying
a certificate file, but when verifying messages, openssl is trying to
find another hash, the generation of which I cannot figure out.  I
managed to figure it out by trussing an openssl verify session.  So
end up with two links to my company's root CA file, one for verifying
email messages, the other for verifying cert files.  Why verify cert
files?  I've added some stuff to EUDC for grabbing certs from our LDAP
server and verify them before saving (well, saving for future use :-)
since the server occasionally has a not yet valid cert on it as well
as a current cert for some users whose certs are close to expiration
and I want to make sure I grab the right one.  I haven't managed to
integrate this with gnus yet but I'm working on it.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net