* two nnml backends with different directories
@ 1999-08-09 18:05 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1999-08-09 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried editting the archive server to be:

(nnml "archive"
      (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive"))

and all hell broke loos.

Now the occasional normal mail seems to end up in my archive server, and the
archive groups seem to have jumped to message numbers in the thousands (from
the regular nnml groups?) and the archive groups don't automatically show up
anywhere and if i browser the archive server it lists the groups from my
regular nnml server.

Basically it doesn't seem to work right to have two servers driven by the same
backend does it?

--
greg

* Re: two nnml backends with different directories
@ 1999-08-09 19:26 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-08-09 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Basically it doesn't seem to work right to have two servers driven
> by the same backend does it?

I've done this.  There's a couple of gotchas.  Be sure to set
nnml-get-new-mail to nil and specify a different active file for the
archive server.  Something like:

(nnml "archive" (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
                (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
                (nnml-get-new-mail nil))

should work the way you want, and not interfere with your normal nnml
server.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: two nnml backends with different directories
@ 1999-08-09 19:52   ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1999-08-09 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> > Basically it doesn't seem to work right to have two servers driven
> > by the same backend does it?
>
> I've done this.  There's a couple of gotchas.  Be sure to set
> nnml-get-new-mail to nil and specify a different active file for the
> archive server.  Something like:
>
> (nnml "archive" (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
>                 (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
>                 (nnml-get-new-mail nil))
>
> should work the way you want, and not interfere with your normal nnml
> server.

I did try exactly that and it still didn't work. I've now figured out why,
and there are probably two or three problems that contributed.

0) The default archive file isn't relative to the directory. that seems weird
   in itself.

1) gnus-message-archive-method seems to override the actual archive method
   contrary to the info files musings. I guess either way some people are
   going to be bit by this, probably this variable should go away really.

2) Even after I changed the variable and edited the server the various groups
   that i had subscribed had been added to my .newsrc.eld with explicit group
   parameters matching the server parameters at the time. This is totally
   redundant, it bloats the .newsrc.el and it apparently makes changing server
   parameters ineffective on existing groups.

--
greg