* suggestion (at least for documentation): X-Face and GNU Emacs
@ 1998-11-20 17:49 John H Palmieri
From: John H Palmieri @ 1998-11-20 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 20.3.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1, X toolkit) of Thu Aug 27 1998 on darwin

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.51

For those of us who use GNU Emacs, and hence have X-Face headers
displayed by popping up an xv window, is there any good way to get rid
of the xv window automatically at some point?  As it stands, once an
X-Face header is displayed, the window stays open until another
message is read.  You can even quit gnus (not that you'd ever want
to), and the window is still there.

At the moment, I am adding the following to gnus-summary-exit-hook:

(function
 (lambda ()
   (if (member "article-x-face"
	       (mapcar 'process-name (process-list)))
       (kill-process "article-x-face"))))

I don't know anything about processes in Emacs, so I wouldn't be
surprised if there were a better way to do this.  If this is actually
a sensible way, should this be documented?  Should this function be
named and a pointer given in the "Look for and display any X-Face
headers" paragraph of the "Article Washing" node of info?  (e.g.,
"Under Emacs, the function gnus-kill-x-face-process will kill the xv
process; you might consider adding this to gnus-summary-exit-hook.")

--
John H. Palmieri
e-mail: palmieri.2@nd.edu        URL:http://www.nd.edu/~jpalmier/

"What part of GNU don't you understand?"

* Re: suggestion (at least for documentation): X-Face and GNU Emacs
@ 1998-11-20 19:56 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-11-20 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> For those of us who use GNU Emacs, and hence have X-Face headers
> displayed by popping up an xv window, is there any good way to get
> rid of the xv window automatically at some point?

Yes, let xv get rid of itself for you.

Here's how I handled this until I switched to XEmacs a couple weeks
ago and got the xface in the *Article*":

(setq gnus-article-x-face-command
	(concat
	 "uncompface | ikon2xbm | xv -geometry "
	 (int-to-string
	  (- (+ (cdr (assoc 'left (frame-parameters)))
		(frame-pixel-width))
	     (x-display-pixel-width)))
	 "+"
	 (int-to-string (cdr (assoc 'top (frame-parameters))))
	 " -wait 5 -")))

This creates an xv command line setting the geometry the way I want it
and then calling the -wait option which causes xv to exit after that
many seconds (I used 5).

hth,

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730