* [Q] Programmatically remembering the backend to post with ?
@ 2015-11-19 10:49 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2015-11-19 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

  Hi,

when I C-u a on a group, Gnus somehow remembers which backend to post
with when I have several (secondary) select methods.

When I programmatically post, however, it doesn't so I must be missing
something. Here's a skeleton of a posting function that I use.

(defmacro* post-message
    ((group subject message &optional (to-group group)) &body body)
  ;; Post a Gnus MESSAGE about SUBJECT, from GROUP.
  ;; Destination group will be the same unless TO-GROUP is provided.
  ;; Execute BODY in the message buffer.

  ;; #### WARNING: SAVE-EXCURSION is important to avoid local-variable value
  ;; leaking. See some similar tricks in gnus-group-mail and such. I can't
  ;; remember the exact problem though.
  `(save-excursion
     (let ((gnus-newsgroup-name ,group)
	   gnus-article-copy)
       (gnus-post-news 'post ,to-group)
       (gmm-fill ,subject ,message)
       ,@body)))

Any help appreciated, thanks !

--
My new Jazz CD entitled "Roots and Leaves" is out!
Check it out: http://didierverna.com/records/roots-and-leaves.php

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info

* Re: [Q] Programmatically remembering the backend to post with ?
@ 2016-02-06  7:07 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-06  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

> When I programmatically post, however, it doesn't so I must be missing
> something. Here's a skeleton of a posting function that I use.
>
> (defmacro* post-message
>     ((group subject message &optional (to-group group)) &body body)
>   ;; Post a Gnus MESSAGE about SUBJECT, from GROUP.
>   ;; Destination group will be the same unless TO-GROUP is provided.
>   ;; Execute BODY in the message buffer.
>
>   ;; #### WARNING: SAVE-EXCURSION is important to avoid local-variable value
>   ;; leaking. See some similar tricks in gnus-group-mail and such. I can't
>   ;; remember the exact problem though.
>   `(save-excursion
>      (let ((gnus-newsgroup-name ,group)
> 	   gnus-article-copy)
>        (gnus-post-news 'post ,to-group)
>        (gmm-fill ,subject ,message)
>        ,@body)))

Do you include the full Gnus group name in your function?  I think
that's all that Gnus does...