* controlling gnus faces through .Xdefaults
@ 2000-03-31  3:29 Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 2000-03-31  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to figure out what the correct .Xdefaults resource is which
controls certain a certain class of gnus faces that I don't like.
Yes, I know that I can do this through customize, but this font
appears so often and in so many different faces that this would be
seemingly unmanageable.

The font I'm trying to change is what is used in the following faces
for example:

  Gnus Emphasis Italic
  Gnus Signature Face
  Gnus Summary Low Read Face
  Bbdb Company

In this screenshot from a customize session, "Gnus Header Newsgroups
Face" and "Gnus Header Content Face" show the font I don't like and
between them "Gnus Header Name Face" shows my default font.

[-- Attachment #2: gnus-article-faces.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 2528 bytes --]

The problem with this font for me is that it is quite a bit larger
than my default font and the other faces and therefore distracting.

Here are my XEmacs font-related resources from .Xdefaults:

  Emacs.default.attributeFont:	  -b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-sans-*-120-*-*-*-*-*
  Emacs.italic.attributeFont:     -*-courier-medium-o-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
  Emacs.bold-italic.attributeFont:-*-courier-bold-o-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*

I had hoped setting `Emacs.italic.attributeFont' would have done what
I needed, but apparently not.  This is on Redhat Linux BTW.

Thanks.

* Re: controlling gnus faces through .Xdefaults
@ 2000-03-31 14:09 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2000-03-31 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

XEmacs/Gnus/Customize calls the function `make-face-italic' in order
to make a face italic.  Try redefining that function.

* Re: controlling gnus faces through .Xdefaults
@ 2000-03-31 14:14 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-03-31 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't prove it since I don't know enough about how customize has
been integrated into the overall (X)Emacs scheme but it appears that
when a face is created by customize, X resources are ignored in favor
of customize defaults.  My kludge around this is to have a series of
make-face calls for those faces I care about, which includes all of
the gnus faces.  Then my X resources are honored since customize
doesn't override any settings unless explicitly told to.  As for the
inevitable "why not just use customize?" argument I'm bound to get: it
was a hell of a lot quicker to list all the faces and then do some
simple search/replace to create a Xdefaults snippet that contained all
the font and color settings I wanted than it would have been to go
through the customize menu for each individual face (I've got over 150
of them).
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS K207\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: controlling gnus faces through .Xdefaults
@ 2000-03-31 16:30   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-03-31 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> I can't prove it since I don't know enough about how customize has
> been integrated into the overall (X)Emacs scheme but it appears that
> when a face is created by customize, X resources are ignored in
> favor of customize defaults.

That's not supposed to happen, at least under the original design.
The X resources code is very tricky, and it's possible that something
broke along the way.  I know that at least one way of specifying the
faces broke.  I specify faces like this:

XEmacs.FACENAME.attributeBackground:	black
XEmacs.FACENAME.attributeForeground:	white

What form do you use?

* Re: controlling gnus faces through .Xdefaults
@ 2000-03-31 20:19     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-03-31 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That's not supposed to happen, at least under the original design.
> The X resources code is very tricky, and it's possible that something
> broke along the way.  I know that at least one way of specifying the
> faces broke.  I specify faces like this:

> XEmacs.FACENAME.attributeBackground:	black
> XEmacs.FACENAME.attributeForeground:	white

> What form do you use?

I use exactly that form.  If I take out all the make-face calls in
.emacs, I don't get any of the fonts or colors specified in my X
resources (which are loaded with xrdb if that matters).
--

@ 2000-04-03 10:56     ` Kim-Minh Kaplan
From: Kim-Minh Kaplan @ 2000-04-03 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic writes:

> XEmacs.FACENAME.attributeBackground:	black
> XEmacs.FACENAME.attributeForeground:	white

My XEmacs 21.1 identifies itself to the window manager as Emacs/emacs,
that is with no X.

Kim-Minh.

* Re: controlling gnus faces through .Xdefaults
@ 2000-04-03 12:56       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-04-03 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kim-Minh Kaplan <kmkaplan@vocatex.fr> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic writes:
>
> > XEmacs.FACENAME.attributeBackground:	black
> > XEmacs.FACENAME.attributeForeground:	white
>
> My XEmacs 21.1 identifies itself to the window manager as
> Emacs/emacs, that is with no X.

Either way is fine.  Recent XEmacsen will first look for XEmacs* X
resources and, failing that, for Emacs*.

This allows you to have different X resources for XEmacs and for GNU
Emacs.

* Re: controlling gnus faces through .Xdefaults
@ 2000-04-03 14:46         ` Kim-Minh Kaplan
From: Kim-Minh Kaplan @ 2000-04-03 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic writes:

> Either way is fine.  Recent XEmacsen will first look for XEmacs* X
> resources and, failing that, for Emacs*.

Thanks for the info.  I was mislead by FvwmIdent which only reports
the Emacs name.

Kim-Minh.

* Re: controlling gnus faces through .Xdefaults
@ 2000-04-03 18:34           ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-04-03 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks for the info.  I was mislead by FvwmIdent which only reports
> the Emacs name.

What XEmacs does is interesting in this regard.  What I see it doing
is: when it's looking for resources, if it finds XEmacs resources, it
names its windows XEmacs.  Otherwise it names them Emacs.  I used to
use Emacs resources under XEmacs20.  When I upgraded to XEmacs21, I
first kept the resources named Emacs and all my Emacs style settings
worked as expected.  Then I saw that it would use XEmacs in the NEWS
file and so renamed all my resources.  Suddenly all my fvwm style
settings for emacs no longer applied and I saw with FvwmIdent that
XEmacs was now reporting the class as XEmacs so I had to fix that in
my .fvwm2rc.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to honor my face
settings unless I create the faces with make-face in .emacs.