* quick hack to make BBDB do The Right Thing
@ 1997-05-15 18:23 Mark Moll
From: Mark Moll @ 1997-05-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like it that BBDB can add e-mail addresses of personal messages to the
database, but it does the same for mailing lists. So within no time my BBDB
would be filled with people I have never heard of. Here's my solution to
work around this problem:

I use procmail to sort my mail into different folders. For each mailing list
where BBDB shouldn't automatically extract e-mail addresses, I use a recipe
that looks like this:

:0 w: $MAILDIR/other.lock
| formail -a "Newsgroups: mail.other" > $MAILDIR/other

which makes the mailing list folder "look like" a newsgroup. The next step
is to set up Gnus. I use the following setup, so that senders of news
messages that are cc-ed to me are not added to my BBDB.

(defun mm-gnus-bbdb-hook ()
  (cond ((not (message-news-p)) (bbdb/gnus-update-record t))))
(add-hook 'gnus-article-display-hook 'mm-gnus-bbdb-hook)

--
Mark Moll

* Re: quick hack to make BBDB do The Right Thing
@ 1997-05-15 19:39 ` Mark Moll
From: Mark Moll @ 1997-05-15 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> On 15 May 1997 14:23:49 -0400, Mark Moll (MM) wrote:
MM> :0 w: $MAILDIR/other.lock
MM> | formail -a "Newsgroups: mail.other" > $MAILDIR/other
                                         ^^^

Doh! That should be `>>' (without the quotes, of course)!

--

@ 1997-05-15 20:20   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-05-15 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

This seems like an awful lot of work for this.  I got this same
behavior just by doing the following:

(defun dsg-gnus-select-group-hook ()
  (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p
	(if (or (string= gnus-newsgroup-name "nnml:inbox")
		(string= gnus-newsgroup-name "nnml:deptmgt")
		(string= gnus-newsgroup-name "nnml:infosec"))
	    'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook
	  nil)
	tm-bbdb/auto-create-p bbdb/news-auto-create-p))

And added that to my gnus-select-group-hook.  Unless, of course, you
put all your email, whether its from a mailing list or not, into a
single group.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730