* Seeing just the cached articles
@ 1998-03-21 19:38 Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-03-21 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Because I don't know how to retrieve _just_ the chached (*) articles
in a group, I've been marking interesting articles with !.  Now I've
got too many of those, so I want to switch to using the cache.

Is there a way when entering a group to limit the summary buffer to
just the cached articles?

--
matta

* Re: Seeing just the cached articles
@ 1998-03-22  3:33 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-22  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:

> Because I don't know how to retrieve _just_ the chached (*) articles
> in a group, I've been marking interesting articles with !.  Now I've
> got too many of those, so I want to switch to using the cache.
>
> Is there a way when entering a group to limit the summary buffer to
> just the cached articles?

If you mean to have the group open with only cached articles showing - I
don't think so.

But if you mean entering and then limiting the view to cached only- then
yes, you can.

Just use the 'limit to marks' view and use '*' as the mark.

'/ m' '*' <RET>

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Seeing just the cached articles
@ 1998-03-23 19:42   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-03-23 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a way when entering a group to limit the summary buffer to
> > just the cached articles?
>
> If you mean to have the group open with only cached articles showing - I
> don't think so.

Bummer.

> But if you mean entering and then limiting the view to cached only-
> then yes, you can.
>
> Just use the 'limit to marks' view and use '*' as the mark.
>
> '/ m' '*' <RET>

This doesn't work for me (gnus 5.6.3).  I can '/ m O' to see all
things marked O, but '/ m *' always shows nothing (even if cached
articles are clearly visible before the operation).

So, bummer again.  :)

--

@ 1998-03-24  2:34     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-24  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:

> > Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:
> >
> > > Is there a way when entering a group to limit the summary buffer to
> > > just the cached articles?
> >
> > If you mean to have the group open with only cached articles showing - I
> > don't think so.
>
> Bummer.
>
> > But if you mean entering and then limiting the view to cached only-
> > then yes, you can.
> >
> > Just use the 'limit to marks' view and use '*' as the mark.
> >
> > '/ m' '*' <RET>
>
> This doesn't work for me (gnus 5.6.3).  I can '/ m O' to see all
> things marked O, but '/ m *' always shows nothing (even if cached
> articles are clearly visible before the operation).
>
> So, bummer again.  :)

OOps sorry Matt-- and so it is -- I should have gone the test before you
talk route.

--

@ 1998-03-24 14:01 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-03-24 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

matta> Is there a way when entering a group to limit the summary
matta> buffer to just the cached articles?

Not that I know of, but you can get to them by going directly to the
cache itself.  From the Group buffer, go to the server buffer
(typically ^ in *Group*).  In the *Server* buffer you should see the
nnspool:cache server.  Open it, enter it and then enter the groups
there.  All you'll find are your cached articles.  It seems to me if
you wanted to you could add the cache groups to your group buffer with
G-m, but I haven't tried that.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: dsg@mitre.org

* Re: Seeing just the cached articles
@ 1998-03-24 16:43   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-03-24 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matt Armstrong, ding

    matta> Is there a way when entering a group to limit the summary buffer to
    matta> just the cached articles?

    David> Not that I know of, but you can get to them by going directly to the
    David> cache itself.  From the Group buffer, go to the server buffer
    David> (typically ^ in *Group*).  In the *Server* buffer you should see the
    David> nnspool:cache server.  Open it, enter it and then enter the groups
    David> there.  All you'll find are your cached articles.  It seems to me if
    David> you wanted to you could add the cache groups to your group buffer
    David> with G-m, but I haven't tried that.

Hmmmm.  I don't see the nnspool:cache server in my server listing when I press
'^' in my Group buffer.  I _have_ marked articles with '*' which should place
them in the cache.  Why, then, don't I see what you see?

Gnus v5.6.2; nntp 5.0; nnml 1.0; nnmh 1.0; nndraft 1.0; nnfolder 1.0

GNU Emacs 20.2.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.4, X toolkit)
 of Mon Dec  1 1997 on clay.principia.com

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* Re: Seeing just the cached articles
@ 1998-03-24 18:30     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-03-24 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matt Armstrong, ding

I don't know why you wouldn't see it.  I just set gnus-use-cache to t
(sometime back in the red gnus days as I recall) and it just worked.
I don't think I set anything else.  According to 5.6.3 gnus.el
nnspool:cache is (still) the default server for the cache.  Maybe it
only appears if gnus-use-cache is t?

@ 1998-03-24 19:21       ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-03-24 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    David> I don't know why you wouldn't see it.  I just set gnus-use-cache to
    David> t (sometime back in the red gnus days as I recall) and it just
    David> worked. I don't think I set anything else.  According to 5.6.3
    David> gnus.el nnspool:cache is (still) the default server for the cache.
    David> Maybe it only appears if gnus-use-cache is t?

I have gnus-use-cache set to 'passive.  According to the variable docstring,

gnus-use-cache's value is
passive

Documentation:
*If nil, Gnus will ignore the article cache.
If `passive', it will allow entering (and reading) articles
explicitly entered into the cache.  If anything else, use the
cache to the full extent of the law.

I'm wondering what is meant by "use the cache to the full extent of the law".
How, specifically, is passive different than true?

--

@ 1998-03-24 19:43         ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-03-24 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

gnus-use-cache set to passive means you can explicitly enter articles
into the cache.  If set to true, ticked and dormant articles are
automatically entered, and if you want, you can automatically enter
all articles into the cache with the gnus-jog-cache function which
gives sort of an nnagent like capability.  I've never used that last
bit -- that's just what I read in the info.  I set gnus-use-cache to
true initially because I thought it was necessary to use the cache at
all, but I've kept it true because I like the automatic entry of
ticked and dormant articles.  I haven't had to use one of the save
functions in ages as a result.

@ 1998-03-24 20:35   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-03-24 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a way when entering a group to limit the summary buffer to
> > just the cached articles?
>
> Just use the 'limit to marks' view and use '*' as the mark.
>
> '/ m' '*' <RET>

As we've alredy discovered, the above doesn't work.

But if you're in any summary buffer '/ *' will insert the cached
articles at the point.  Handy.

I couldn't find '/ *' in the info files -- if nobody else can I'll
file a bug.

--

@ 1998-03-25  3:40           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-25  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> gnus-use-cache set to passive means you can explicitly enter articles
> into the cache.  If set to true, ticked and dormant articles are
> automatically entered, and if you want, you can automatically enter
> all articles into the cache with the gnus-jog-cache function which
> gives sort of an nnagent like capability.  I've never used that last
> bit -- that's just what I read in the info.  I set gnus-use-cache to
> true initially because I thought it was necessary to use the cache at
> all, but I've kept it true because I like the automatic entry of
> ticked and dormant articles.  I haven't had to use one of the save
> functions in ages as a result.

That '/ *' is pretty slick.

I have gnus-use-cache set to 't'

  > gnus-use-cache's value is

But still, no cache server shows up in '^' from group buffer.
So apperantly it can work differenly on differernt setups even if both
have set 't'.

I have many messages in cache and since they are 'ticked' (a form of
unread) then they show up when entering a group along with the regular unread.

--

@ 1998-03-25 16:53   ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1998-03-25 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > In the *Server* buffer you should see the nnspool:cache server.

The nnspool:cache backend server isn't set up by default; however,
it's the example used in the Gnus manual section on "Creating a
Virtual Server."

Lars posted these instructions a while back and probably everyone on
the list dutifully added it to their configuration, since it seemed
quite useful.  :)

--Paul

* Re: Seeing just the cached articles
@ 1998-03-25 19:31     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-03-25 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> The nnspool:cache backend server isn't set up by default; however,
> it's the example used in the Gnus manual section on "Creating a
> Virtual Server."

Doh!  I did that so long ago I had forgotten it wasn't always just
there.  Sorry for the confusion.