From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: maildir - whats the skinny?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 01:23:07 -0800	[thread overview]

>> If I have procmail writing to maildir and creating directories as
>> needed, then writing the numbered messages under that directory.  Do I
>> need to tell gnus about teh subdirectory?
>
> You could also use nnmaildir to just read the maildirs directly.

Paul pointed that out on a different forum.  And I read thru the docu
stuff on nnmaildir.  Some things sound promising, like the point you
raise but I couldn't really make heads or tails of it overall.

It wasn't clear if gnus regular mail functions and goodies like the
complex expiry and scoring etc applies to nnmaildir or not.  The
discription including always-marks, never-marks and the unusual expire
dating things threw me for a loop.

My whole point in trying to funnel an nntp feed into procmail and
hence convert it to mail that gnus can turn into nnml groups is to
access the nice stuff gnus can do with nnml groups.  Wasn't at all
clear if any of that also applies to nnmaildir.