From: dsg@linus.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg)
Cc: "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Subject: Re: how do I fcc: a nnml folder?  and what is gcc? (gnus 5.3)
Date: 04 Sep 1996 15:20:08 -0400	[thread overview]

> But now I'm stuck.  What's the right Fcc setup to trigger saving
> into nnml "groups" called "nnml:outbox" or "nnml:todo" or whatever?
> The docs say that message-fcc-handler-function is rmail-output by
> default, but I can't figure out what nnml function corresponds to
> rmail-output.

There doesn't seem to be a good default.  With rmail-output you can do
something like

	Fcc: |/usr/local/lib/mh/rcvstore +folder

but that's way too much typing for me.  So I wrote a fcc handler
function that did the rcvstore for me.  However, I wasn't real
satisfied with that.  Since I've decided to move away from MH as my
primary means of reading mail in favor of Gnus, I didn't want to have
to deal with the Fcc's ending up in my unseen sequence (which I still
use for some colaborative stuff outside of Gnus).  I know I can muck
with the environment and specify a stripped down mh profile but I
didn't want that.  I also didn't like the fact that using rcvstore
meant having to do nnml-generate-nov-databases.  So I came up with the
following message-fcc-handler-function, which does all the right nnml
stuff.  I've only been using it a couple days now which is why I
haven't said anything about it before - I'm still not sure it's
correct although it hasn't burned me yet.

(defun dsg-message-do-mh-fcc (fldr)
  "Store a message into an MH folder given by Fcc header in message-mode."
  (let* ((fldr (substring fldr (1+ (length (getenv "HOME")))))
	 (group (if (= (string-to-char fldr) ?+)
		    (substring fldr 1)
		  fldr)))
    (if (string-match "/$" group)
	(setq group (replace-match "" nil nil group)))
    (while (string-match "/" group)
      (setq group (replace-match "." nil nil group)))
    (nnml-request-accept-article group nil t)))

The replacement of / with . is necessary only if you're like me and
you're used to doing MH style fcc's with recursive folders.  This lets
me use the mh-to-fcc function from mh-e to get folder completion (I
rebind \C-c\C-f\C-w to mh-to-fcc).

> And, the docs mention "gcc" once, and the source mentions it twice,
> but that's the end of the road.  Is that the remnants of an
> experiment gone bad, or is that what I'm looking for?

I am pretty sure that this is basically what gcc is supposed to do,
but I'm used to fcc and prefer to be able to take advantage of
functions I wrote for mh-e to get default fcc folders etc rather than
have to learn gcc and figure out how to do the same thing with that
header.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730