Gnus development mailing list
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* point movement bug?
@ 2019-02-24 23:40 Leo Liu
  2019-02-25 21:12 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Leo Liu @ 2019-02-24 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi there,

I am using Gnus from Emacs always. I have noticed that point could move
randomly when going back to summary buffer by typing `=' in the article
buffer. The issue started to appear probably since Emacs 25 but I didn't
stumble upon a recipe to reproduce the issue until just now.

See the attached screenshot of a thread.

1. Visit the first article in a thread and make sure to move point to
   the article buffer.

2. Press `n' to move to next article while point is still in the article
   buffer.

3. Press `n' again

4. Press `='

At this point the article buffer is hidden and point is moved back to
the summary buffer. But instead of being placed on the article you last
read it is moved to the article before entering the article buffer.

I found this new behaviour very confusing. Sometimes I have pressed `n'
many times in the article buffer and the summary buffer indicates where
the point will be (by showing an empty square) but as soon as pressing
`=' it changes.

Leo




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: point movement bug?
  2019-02-24 23:40 point movement bug? Leo Liu
@ 2019-02-25 21:12 ` Eric S Fraga
  2019-02-26  1:59   ` Leo Liu
  2019-02-25 21:24 ` Eric Abrahamsen
  2019-06-22 10:38 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-02-25 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday, 25 Feb 2019 at 07:40, Leo Liu wrote:
> I am using Gnus from Emacs always. I have noticed that point could move
> randomly when going back to summary buffer by typing `=' in the article
> buffer. The issue started to appear probably since Emacs 25 but I didn't
> stumble upon a recipe to reproduce the issue until just now.

Yes, I have had this behaviour for a long time now.  Annoying.  I've no
idea why nor how to fix it.

-- 
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.1 on Debian 9.7




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: point movement bug?
  2019-02-24 23:40 point movement bug? Leo Liu
  2019-02-25 21:12 ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2019-02-25 21:24 ` Eric Abrahamsen
  2019-06-22 10:38 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-02-25 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I am using Gnus from Emacs always. I have noticed that point could move
> randomly when going back to summary buffer by typing `=' in the article
> buffer. The issue started to appear probably since Emacs 25 but I didn't
> stumble upon a recipe to reproduce the issue until just now.
>
> See the attached screenshot of a thread.
>
> 1. Visit the first article in a thread and make sure to move point to
>    the article buffer.
>
> 2. Press `n' to move to next article while point is still in the article
>    buffer.
>
> 3. Press `n' again
>
> 4. Press `='

Oddly, if you use "h" in the same scenario, it behaves correctly. I
looked briefly at "=", which gets into Gnus' windowing systems, and
couldn't immediately see what might be going wrong.

Maybe report this as a Gnus bug, so it gets added to the tracker?




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: point movement bug?
  2019-02-25 21:12 ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2019-02-26  1:59   ` Leo Liu
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Leo Liu @ 2019-02-26  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2019-02-25 21:12 +0000, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Yes, I have had this behaviour for a long time now.  Annoying.  I've no
> idea why nor how to fix it.

On 2019-02-25 13:24 -0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Oddly, if you use "h" in the same scenario, it behaves correctly. I
> looked briefly at "=", which gets into Gnus' windowing systems, and
> couldn't immediately see what might be going wrong.
>
> Maybe report this as a Gnus bug, so it gets added to the tracker?
>

I forgot to attach the screenshot but you two seem to get it anyway ;)

I think the issue might be `gnus-summary-position-point' in
`gnus-summary-next-article'. When the window of the summary buffer is
not selected goto-char won't work properly, instead one must use
`set-window-point' to move point.

Leo




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: point movement bug?
  2019-02-24 23:40 point movement bug? Leo Liu
  2019-02-25 21:12 ` Eric S Fraga
  2019-02-25 21:24 ` Eric Abrahamsen
@ 2019-06-22 10:38 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
  2019-06-24  5:10   ` Leo Liu
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-06-22 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: ding

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. Visit the first article in a thread and make sure to move point to
>    the article buffer.
>
> 2. Press `n' to move to next article while point is still in the article
>    buffer.
>
> 3. Press `n' again
>
> 4. Press `='
>
> At this point the article buffer is hidden and point is moved back to
> the summary buffer. But instead of being placed on the article you last
> read it is moved to the article before entering the article buffer.

I'm unable to reproduce this bug in Emacs 27 -- when hitting `=', point
moves to the last read article in the summary buffer...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: point movement bug?
  2019-06-22 10:38 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
@ 2019-06-24  5:10   ` Leo Liu
  2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
  2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Leo Liu @ 2019-06-24  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

On 2019-06-22 12:38 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> I'm unable to reproduce this bug in Emacs 27 -- when hitting `=', point
> moves to the last read article in the summary buffer...

To reproduce the bug both buffers, article and summary must be visible.

It seems what I wrote on <m1va17mhsh.fsf@gmail.com> is still true with
27 which I quote:

,----
| I think the issue might be `gnus-summary-position-point' in
| `gnus-summary-next-article'. When the window of the summary buffer is
| not selected goto-char won't work properly, instead one must use
| `set-window-point' to move point.
`----



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: point movement bug?
  2019-06-24  5:10   ` Leo Liu
  2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
@ 2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
  2021-01-07 13:21       ` Leo Liu
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-06-24 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: ding

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2019-06-22 12:38 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> I'm unable to reproduce this bug in Emacs 27 -- when hitting `=', point
>> moves to the last read article in the summary buffer...
>
> To reproduce the bug both buffers, article and summary must be visible.

Yes, both are visible for me (but `=' makes only the summary buffer
visible).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: point movement bug?
  2019-06-24  5:10   ` Leo Liu
@ 2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
  2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-06-24 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: ding

Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2019-06-22 12:38 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> I'm unable to reproduce this bug in Emacs 27 -- when hitting `=', point
>> moves to the last read article in the summary buffer...
>
> To reproduce the bug both buffers, article and summary must be visible.

Yes, both are visible for me (but `=' makes only the summary buffer
visible).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: point movement bug?
  2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
@ 2021-01-07 13:21       ` Leo Liu
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Leo Liu @ 2021-01-07 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

On 2019-06-24 12:53 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Yes, both are visible for me (but `=' makes only the summary buffer
> visible).

Indeed the bug is fixed in 27.1 which I just started using today ;)


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-01-08  1:45 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 9+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-02-24 23:40 point movement bug? Leo Liu
2019-02-25 21:12 ` Eric S Fraga
2019-02-26  1:59   ` Leo Liu
2019-02-25 21:24 ` Eric Abrahamsen
2019-06-22 10:38 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
2019-06-24  5:10   ` Leo Liu
2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
2019-06-24 10:53     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
2021-01-07 13:21       ` Leo Liu

Gnus development mailing list

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/ding

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 ding ding/ http://inbox.vuxu.org/ding \
		ding@inbox.vuxu.org
	public-inbox-index ding

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.emacs.gnus.general


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git