From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Prevent B c/B m from createing dups in target group
Date: 17 Aug 2001 13:35:21 -0700	[thread overview]

[...]
Thanks for the quick survey

> Perhaps the nn.*-request-accept-article function could have an option
> to go through all the messages in the group and see whether the
> message is already there.  But that would take a looong time.

Now we're talking.  From an absolute amateur viewpoint, I'm thinking would this
really be so long, unless the group was rilly rilly big.  It takes only
10 seconds or so for gnus to generate a full nov file in a group of  1200
and it seems that would be much more work than comparing say 5
different IDs, one at a time, againt say 1000.  The comparison would
run at most 5,000 times, maybe to much .. is it? or maybe some way to
speed it up.

> > 3) Suppression seems very much like taking pain pills to mask an
> >    injury while continuing to grind your body to dust...
>
> On the other hand, if you have a slight headache, a pain killer makes
> it all go away and makes you happy and shiny again.

He he.. yeah but for that comparison to really stand up, it would have
to be added that sometimes just taking off or putting on your glasses
may remove the headache.  I guess I'm talking about this code being
comprable to that little chore and probably it isn't eh?