* Jumbled group buffer
@ 2001-07-17 22:20 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-07-17 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been noticing lately with my recent (2wks) cvs, something I don't
rembember being like this before.  I use tic and dormant a lot so in
my group buffer I'll see an `*' at the left of groups with something
ticked or dormant.  Now my group buffer looks jumbled due to a on char
indent on the groups with the asterisk.

I don't remember it looking like that before.  Or is this something
I've inadvertantly activated.

*      18: nnml:seawolf
       5: nnml:secd
*       0: nnml:slrn
      12: nnml:time
*       0: nnml:system
     146: nndir:/mnt/pack/Mail/texi
      37: nndir:/mnt/pack/Mail/texi2
*       0: nnml:ucsb
*       0: nnvirtual:ptw+
       0: nnml:cron
     122: nnml:cron_fetchall
       1: nnml:cron_misc

Seem like it used to appear with all nnml lined up at the first n
regardless of Asterisk.

* Re: Jumbled group buffer
@ 2001-07-20 17:59 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-20 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've been noticing lately with my recent (2wks) cvs, something I don't
> rembember being like this before.  I use tic and dormant a lot so in
> my group buffer I'll see an `*' at the left of groups with something
> ticked or dormant.  Now my group buffer looks jumbled due to a on char
> indent on the groups with the asterisk.
>
> I don't remember it looking like that before.  Or is this something
> I've inadvertantly activated.
>
> *      18: nnml:seawolf
>        5: nnml:secd
> *       0: nnml:slrn
>       12: nnml:time
> *       0: nnml:system
>      146: nndir:/mnt/pack/Mail/texi
>       37: nndir:/mnt/pack/Mail/texi2
> *       0: nnml:ucsb
> *       0: nnvirtual:ptw+
>        0: nnml:cron
>      122: nnml:cron_fetchall
>        1: nnml:cron_misc
>

> Seem like it used to appear with all nnml lined up at the first n
> regardless of Asterisk.

It works for me.  What is your gnus-group-line-format?

ShengHuo

* Re: Jumbled group buffer
@ 2001-07-20 19:40   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-07-20 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> > I've been noticing lately with my recent (2wks) cvs, something I don't
> > rembember being like this before.  I use tic and dormant a lot so in
> > my group buffer I'll see an `*' at the left of groups with something
> > ticked or dormant.  Now my group buffer looks jumbled due to a on char
> > indent on the groups with the asterisk.
> >
> > I don't remember it looking like that before.  Or is this something
> > I've inadvertantly activated.
> >
> > *      18: nnml:seawolf
> >        5: nnml:secd
> > *       0: nnml:slrn
> >       12: nnml:time
> > *       0: nnml:system
> >      146: nndir:/mnt/pack/Mail/texi
> >       37: nndir:/mnt/pack/Mail/texi2
> > *       0: nnml:ucsb
> > *       0: nnvirtual:ptw+
> >        0: nnml:cron
> >      122: nnml:cron_fetchall
> >        1: nnml:cron_misc
> >

> > Seem like it used to appear with all nnml lined up at the first n
> > regardless of Asterisk.
>
> It works for me.  What is your gnus-group-line-format?

I don't think I've changed this for quite a long time.
But memory isn't all that reliable.

(setq gnus-group-line-format"%M%S%p%P%5y: %(%g%)%l\n")

* Re: Jumbled group buffer
@ 2001-07-20 22:05     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-20 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>> > I've been noticing lately with my recent (2wks) cvs, something I don't
>> > rembember being like this before.  I use tic and dormant a lot so in
>> > my group buffer I'll see an `*' at the left of groups with something
>> > ticked or dormant.  Now my group buffer looks jumbled due to a on char
>> > indent on the groups with the asterisk.
>> >
>> > I don't remember it looking like that before.  Or is this something
>> > I've inadvertantly activated.
>> >
>> > *      18: nnml:seawolf
>> >        5: nnml:secd
>> > *       0: nnml:slrn
>> >       12: nnml:time
>> > *       0: nnml:system
>> >      146: nndir:/mnt/pack/Mail/texi
>> >       37: nndir:/mnt/pack/Mail/texi2
>> > *       0: nnml:ucsb
>> > *       0: nnvirtual:ptw+
>> >        0: nnml:cron
>> >      122: nnml:cron_fetchall
>> >        1: nnml:cron_misc
>> >

>> > Seem like it used to appear with all nnml lined up at the first n
>> > regardless of Asterisk.
>>
>> It works for me.  What is your gnus-group-line-format?
>
> I don't think I've changed this for quite a long time.
> But memory isn't all that reliable.
>
> (setq gnus-group-line-format"%M%S%p%P%5y: %(%g%)%l\n")

I don't get the clue. Maybe `M-x gnus-compile RET' helps a little.

ShengHuo

* Re: Jumbled group buffer
@ 2001-07-21 19:25       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-07-21 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> > ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> >> It works for me.  What is your gnus-group-line-format?
> >
> > I don't think I've changed this for quite a long time.
> > But memory isn't all that reliable.
> >
> > (setq gnus-group-line-format"%M%S%p%P%5y: %(%g%)%l\n")
>
> I don't get the clue. Maybe `M-x gnus-compile RET' helps a little.

ShengHuo, What am I supposed to see?  I don't notice anything.

* Re: Jumbled group buffer
@ 2001-07-21 21:52         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-21 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 21 Jul 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> I don't get the clue. Maybe `M-x gnus-compile RET' helps a little.
>
> ShengHuo, What am I supposed to see?  I don't notice anything.

If you have (gnus-compile) in your ~/.gnus and then subsequently
change gnus-group-line-format, this change will not have any effect at
all, until you type M-x gnus-compile RET.

Of course, if you don't have (gnus-compile) in your .gnus file, then
ShengHuo's suggestion does not apply.

I'm also flabbergasted as to what you might be seeing.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Jumbled group buffer
@ 2001-07-24  6:04         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-24  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

>> > I don't think I've changed this for quite a long time.
>> > But memory isn't all that reliable.
>> >
>> > (setq gnus-group-line-format"%M%S%p%P%5y: %(%g%)%l\n")
>>
>> I don't get the clue. Maybe `M-x gnus-compile RET' helps a little.
>
> ShengHuo, What am I supposed to see?  I don't notice anything.

I have no idea. My wild guess is that your gnus-group.el is corrupted.
Try to check out a new gnus-group.el and compile.  If it doesn't work,
I am at the end of the rope.

ShengHuo

* Re: Jumbled group buffer
@ 2001-07-24  6:45           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-07-24  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> > ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> >> I don't get the clue. Maybe `M-x gnus-compile RET' helps a little.
> >
> > ShengHuo, What am I supposed to see?  I don't notice anything.
>
> I have no idea. My wild guess is that your gnus-group.el is corrupted.
> Try to check out a new gnus-group.el and compile.  If it doesn't work,
> I am at the end of the rope.

Turned out to be a font problem.  Maybe peculiar to emacs-21, but only
because I don't think 20.7 was actually loading the font listed in
.Xdefaults whereas emacs-21 was.

emacs*font: -misc-fixed-bold-*-*-*-*-140-75-*-*-*-*-*
Was causing the problem.

This fixed it:
emacs*font: -misc-fixed-bold-*-*-*-*-120-100-*-c-*-*-*