From: Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com>
To: asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Article mode for raw email message?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 09:34:12 -0500	[thread overview]

> Peter writes:
>
>> Ultimately I'm hoping to trigger this from a script which writes the
>> message to a temp file and calls emacsclient to open it, but maybe I
>> can learn something from the code of this function.
>
> Sounds fancy - I can't figure out when I would use something like that;
> what are you going to use it for?

Forgive the heresy, but after using both mutt and gnus (and a slew of
other email clients) for years, I'm of the opinion that mutt is
generally faster and easier to use, but gnus article mode really
displays messages more attractively and usefully than mutt.

So I'm thinking of trying to set things up so I have mutt running an
emacs ansiterminal window. When I display a message, I would use mutt's pipe command
to send the message to a temp file, which I would then pass to
emacsclient to open in another window, hopefully in Article mode. I'm
not sure how feasible this is, but it seems the major pieces are there
in mutt and gnus, and it would be a matter of creating some glue to pull
all the bits together.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions about how to accomplish this, or
why it's not possible.

Thanks!!

-pd