* gnus-agent-regenerate
@ 2002-01-28 18:05 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-28 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

gnus-agent-regenerate is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`gnus-agent'.  (gnus-agent-regenerate &optional CLEAN)

How can the `CLEAN' option be used?

C-u M-x gnus-agent-regerate  in group buffer tries to do something
else before you ever get to the command.

Further, can this command be aimed at a specific group like
nnml-generate-nov... can.  In fact doesn't nnml-generate-nov-data-bases
do about the same thing?

Looking thru the code for both, I couldn't really make heads or tails
of it.

* Re: gnus-agent-regenerate
@ 2002-01-28 18:38 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> gnus-agent-regenerate is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> `gnus-agent'.  (gnus-agent-regenerate &optional CLEAN)
>
> How can the `CLEAN' option be used?
>
> C-u M-x gnus-agent-regerate  in group buffer tries to do something
> else before you ever get to the command.

Did you bind C-u to something?

> Further, can this command be aimed at a specific group like
> nnml-generate-nov... can.  In fact doesn't nnml-generate-nov-data-bases
> do about the same thing?

The command does more, repairing history and .agentview files.
Basically gnus-agent-regenerate-group (no interactive command) is
aimed at a specific group, but it doesn't repair history or active
files.

ShengHuo

* Re: gnus-agent-regenerate
@ 2002-01-28 19:11   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>> gnus-agent-regenerate is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
>> `gnus-agent'.  (gnus-agent-regenerate &optional CLEAN)
>>
>> How can the `CLEAN' option be used?
>>
>> C-u M-x gnus-agent-regerate  in group buffer tries to do something
>> else before you ever get to the command.
>
> Did you bind C-u to something?

No, but I think it may have been that I had backed up a few versions
momentarily to check something..  I may have run it in a version where
it didn't yet exist.  At any rate it works using cvs of about an hour
ago.

But what does it do to say C-u M-x g-a-r as apposed to M-x g-a-r
It seemed to run and it did fix everthing about those strange
download summary messages, but it still isn't clear if that is what
invokes `clean' (C-u) or if it is invoked with something more like:

   C-u clean M-x g-a-r

Here if I try to add `clean' after C-u  I get to  `C-u cl' then the
prompt disappears as if a complete command had been entered which I
suppose it has.

I ran C-u M-x g-a-r <RET> and the regeneration began, reporting which
group it was fixing as it went.... did I run with the `clean' option
or not?

>> Further, can this command be aimed at a specific group like
>> nnml-generate-nov... can.  .....

So I guess the answer to this was a no..eh?

* Re: gnus-agent-regenerate
@ 2002-01-28 21:21     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-28 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> No, but I think it may have been that I had backed up a few versions
> momentarily to check something..  I may have run it in a version where
> it didn't yet exist.  At any rate it works using cvs of about an hour
> ago.

I added it in Jan 11. So it is in oGnus v0.05.

[...]

> I ran C-u M-x g-a-r <RET> and the regeneration began, reporting which
> group it was fixing as it went.... did I run with the `clean' option
> or not?

Yes, you ran it with 'clean' option.

>>> Further, can this command be aimed at a specific group like
>>> nnml-generate-nov... can.  .....
>
> So I guess the answer to this was a no..eh?

Eh, the answer is a no so far.

ShengHuo

* Re: gnus-agent-regenerate
@ 2002-01-29  0:28       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-29  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>> I ran C-u M-x g-a-r <RET> and the regeneration began, reporting which
>> group it was fixing as it went.... did I run with the `clean' option
>> or not?
>
> Yes, you ran it with 'clean' option.

Ok, thanks

>> So I guess the answer to this was a no..eh?
>
> Eh, the answer is a no so far.

He he... You are spoiling everybody with your fast work..

Those `Fixed' messages of yours are becoming a trademark.

I noticed something when running that command as described.
It was pretty fast.  I'm comparing to running
nnml-generate-nov-databases.  I don't mean an actual benchmark type
comparison but just a noticable difference. And there are currently
approximately 3 times as many messages under News than Mail
News = 33331
Mail = 10456
I just moved lots of stuff to archives a week ago.

Yet the g-a-r command finished in a few seconds ..maybe 10 or so.

Is there a reason it would be much faster than nnml-generate-nov...?
Or is it the clean option making such a difference?

* Re: gnus-agent-regenerate
@ 2002-01-29  1:04         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-29  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> Yet the g-a-r command finished in a few seconds ..maybe 10 or so.
>
> Is there a reason it would be much faster than nnml-generate-nov...?
> Or is it the clean option making such a difference?

Oh, I forget to mention that it doesn't regenerate all NOV from the
articles. Instead, it only regenerates missing ones, because some
articles are not downloaded, i.e. don't exist in Gnus Agent.

ShengHuo

* Re: gnus-agent-regenerate
@ 2002-01-29  1:22           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-01-29  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> [...]
>
>> Yet the g-a-r command finished in a few seconds ..maybe 10 or so.
>>
>> Is there a reason it would be much faster than nnml-generate-nov...?
>> Or is it the clean option making such a difference?
>
> Oh, I forget to mention that it doesn't regenerate all NOV from the
> articles. Instead, it only regenerates missing ones, because some
> articles are not downloaded, i.e. don't exist in Gnus Agent.

Yup.. that would make a rather dramatic difference.

I think this function is an important addition.. Not something you'd
need real often but when needed it can really do the job.