* .newrc.eld renamed
@ 2001-11-15 16:48 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-11-15 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something causing confusion here:
Newsrc.eld has turned up with a new name.
.newsrc-NNTP_SERVER.eld

Is this something I've inadvertantly set or changed and forgot?

I see no mention of .newsrc.eld in .gnus .emacs .site-start.el
I see no mention of .newrc.eld in recent cvs ChangeLog

M-x customize-apropos <RET> newsrc <RET> shows nothing that looks
promising.

C-h i m gnus i  newsrc.eld  gives one hit.. not promising

`s' search gives quite a few hits on .newsrc.eld but none seem to be
about changing the name to include the server name.

* Re: .newrc.eld renamed
@ 2001-11-15 18:31 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-11-15 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Something causing confusion here:
> Newsrc.eld has turned up with a new name.
> .newsrc-NNTP_SERVER.eld
>
> Is this something I've inadvertantly set or changed and forgot?
>
> I see no mention of .newsrc.eld in .gnus .emacs .site-start.el
> I see no mention of .newrc.eld in recent cvs ChangeLog
>

> M-x customize-apropos <RET> newsrc <RET> shows nothing that looks
> promising.
>
> C-h i m gnus i  newsrc.eld  gives one hit.. not promising

The text in this hit explains it, at least in my copy.  You probably
used Netscape or something that created a .newsrc-foo and Gnus picked
that up.  From the Info node:

   You can turn off writing the `.newsrc' file by setting
`gnus-save-newsrc-file' to `nil', which means you can delete the file
and save some space, as well as exiting from Gnus faster.  However,
this will make it impossible to use other newsreaders than Gnus.  But
hey, who would want to, right?  Similarly, setting
`gnus-read-newsrc-file' to `nil' makes Gnus ignore the `.newsrc' file
and any `.newsrc-SERVER' files, which is convenient if you have a
tendency to use Netscape once in a while.

* Re: .newrc.eld renamed
@ 2001-11-15 20:52   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-11-15 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> C-h i m gnus i  newsrc.eld  gives one hit.. not promising
>
> The text in this hit explains it, at least in my copy.  You probably
> used Netscape or something that created a .newsrc-foo and Gnus picked
> that up.  From the Info node:
>
>    You can turn off writing the `.newsrc' file by setting
> `gnus-save-newsrc-file' to `nil', which means you can delete the file
> and save some space, as well as exiting from Gnus faster.  However,
> this will make it impossible to use other newsreaders than Gnus.  But
> hey, who would want to, right?  Similarly, setting
> `gnus-read-newsrc-file' to `nil' makes Gnus ignore the `.newsrc' file
> and any `.newsrc-SERVER' files, which is convenient if you have a
> tendency to use Netscape once in a while.

This doesn't explain it at all in my reading, but I guess it does mean
what I'm seeing.  This would not have and did not tip me
off. Newsrc.eld is not mentioned there.  It is mentioned in the para
above but not in connection of being renamed.

It should clearly say that newsrc.eld might be renamed by some other
application having been used.  Or that .newrc might be and then gnus
will rename .newrc.eld too.  Still not clear to me what actually
happened there.

I think the culprit may have been slrn since I don't recall using
netscape for news ever.  But I think slrn uses something else like:
~/.jnewsrc.

* Re: .newrc.eld renamed
@ 2001-11-16  8:17 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-16  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Something causing confusion here:
> Newsrc.eld has turned up with a new name.
> .newsrc-NNTP_SERVER.eld

Gnus looks if .newsrc-FOO exists before it looks for .newsrc.  If it
finds .newsrc-FOO, it uses this and .newsrc-FOO.eld (which will be
created if necessary).  Only if .newsrc-FOO cannot be found, then Gnus
will use .newsrc (and .newsrc.eld).

Suppose you have the following three files:

    .newsrc
    .newsrc.eld
    .newsrc-x

Then, Gnus will use .newsrc-x and .newsrc-x.eld (which will be
created)!

Clear?

kai
--