* Monster html message with attachments pegs cpu at 99%
@ 2001-05-22 14:55 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-05-22 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is an annoying problem I see from time to time.

Some spammer nitwit sent me a monster 2500+ line message containing
html and jpg attachments.

I wanted to just move it to my spam bin for later study, but using
`B m' causes w3 to attempt to render this huge dog, pegging the cpu at
99% indefinitely.

There are ways around this, like using C-u g first, but it seems there
should be a smoother way to handle this.  Does w3 really need to open
and begin to parse a message in order for that message to be moved or
copied?

Even when respooling messages, w3 will attempt to begin parsing html
enclosed messages.

* Re: Monster html message with attachments pegs cpu at 99%
@ 2001-05-22 16:30 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2001-05-22 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Here is an annoying problem I see from time to time.
>
> Some spammer nitwit sent me a monster 2500+ line message containing
> html and jpg attachments.
>
> I wanted to just move it to my spam bin for later study, but using
> `B m' causes w3 to attempt to render this huge dog, pegging the cpu at
> 99% indefinitely.
>
> There are ways around this, like using C-u g first, but it seems there
> should be a smoother way to handle this.  Does w3 really need to open
> and begin to parse a message in order for that message to be moved or
> copied?
>
> Even when respooling messages, w3 will attempt to begin parsing html
> enclosed messages.

This is a bug in gnus, not w3.  gnus attempts to show the message under
point sometimes when moving or respooling.  Not sure if there is a way to
make it stop or not.

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam.