From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: [inn] How to have more than one server
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:12:22 -0800	[thread overview]

Kevin Falcone <kevin@jibsheet.com> writes:

> HP> I want to just say download these groups, put them in a newsrc or
> HP> something and thats that, no tricky heuristics or the like.
>
> slrnpull does this.  I have /var/spool/neu/slrnpull.conf which lists
> groups I want to read.  /var/spool/news is a symlink to
> /var/spool/neu/news and I have two cron jobs, one to periodically
> download news and one each day to expire.  slrnpull wants inews to
> post, but I have a little shell script which tricks it into putting
> things into the out.going directory for slrnpull to post later.
>
> This was my setup for at least 4 years until I installed INN locally
> as a precursor to upgrading a production box.
>
> However, this means you use nnspool and not nntp as your select
> method, as you'll be reading right out of the filesystem.

Hello Kevin,
An overambitious spam filter trapped you reply.  I've adjusted it now.
Thanks for the input.

I've also used slrnpull quite a while back, and gave up on it after
some months.  I don't really remember why now, but maybe the lack of
an interface for updating .newsrc or something.  Or maybe it was the
inability to easily post immediately on demand. For one reason or
another it seemed easier and more economical to just use gnus-agent.

But as I mentioned, there always seems to be hassles that way too.  I
had that inews gimmick for posting too, but have long ago lost track of it.

May be time for a retry. If you have time can you send me the script
privately?