From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Display something besides Subject line on request
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 17:53:59 -0800	[thread overview]

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

[...]

>> Over time that would probably be faster since it would lack the
>> overhead of having to find and keep another field in .overview.  It
>> would only happen on demand.
>
> Hm, maybe.  More generally, we occasionally want to operate on
> information which is normally not of interest, and thus not stored
> with the NOV data - so it should be possible to do that without too
> much trouble.  OTOH, when the information we want to operate on is
> stored with the NOV data, we shouldn't have to pay the penalty of
> rescanning the original message header; that should be done only when

What I'm describing falls more in your first point there I think. If I
had said `X-Harry's special annotation once in a blue moon' It would
be clearer.  I actually would use it much more than that but still not
enough to add overhead to nov generation.  I used the extra header
Keywords and Message-id for many mnths, finally dropping the keywords
because I didn't use it that much.  However confined to specific
groups like groups where I might edit (add keywords) to articles
frequently.  So I still think this kind of usage would benefit from
not requiring nov data to work.  But like you say it should recognize
if the data is available and use it if so.

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Try <info://gnus/To+From+Newsgroup>

Ahh cool .. thanks

> [...]
>
>> At this point I want that limited buffer to display the Keywords
>> header instead of the Subject header.
>> When I pop that limit I want the Subject back.  Either by
>> M-x <something> or by hooking into the limiting some how.
>> I guess M-x <something> is the more reasonable.
>> One could say M-x <something> to  toggle Keywords and M-x <something>
>> again to go back to Subject.

> You can write a user-defined spec function with a switch variable, and
> write another function to toggle the variable and update the summary
> lines.

This sounds like what I'm after.  You make it sound easy... If I only
had a brain.

>> Further the Keywords line I may have added by gnus-edit-article will
>> not be in the nov file.  Unless I've run nnml-generate-nov... after
>> adding it and have code in .gnus to include keywords in the nov file.
>> This I also know how to do, but its not really what is necessary to get
>> the results described above.  Or at least not a very practicle way.
>
> The NOV updating code is in nnml.el and works for me. And also after
> you g-e-a, the summary line is updated.  What are the values of your
> gnus-extra-headers and nnmail-extra-headers?

Ohh cool... I wouldn't have seen that because I removed `keywords' some
time ago.  I am not having a problem understanding how to get keywords
into nov or to have it displayed in an open article as one of visible
headers.  But I didn't know about the update mechanism ... that is nifty.

My ambition here is as you've described, a switchable variable for
summary format line that can be toggled at will. Do you think that
would be mainline, usefull enough thing to be part of gnus?

Those two variables both say (To Newsgroups).  At one time I did have
keywords there.  But I notice entering large groups is really slow so
I dropped it.  I'm not really sure it helped though.

>> At this point I want that limited buffer to display the Keywords
>> header instead of the Subject header.
>
> Whee.  Maybe it's easiest to make a %k entry in
> gnus-summary-line-format-alist which shows the Keywords header, and
> then you write a little function which limits, changes
> gnus-summary-line-format to include %k instead of %f, and then a
> similar function which pops the limit and sets
> gnus-summary-line-format back.

Yeah.. this sounds a lot like what ShengHuo suggested.
> Ick.

Why ick?  Too Kludgy?

> Is there a way to find out if the current summary is limited and what
> that limit is?

It might be as well to switch the whole group on and off.  Except in a
real large group that would be a time killer.

> Then Harry could write a function which does like %f unless the
> current summary buffer is limited based on Keywords.

Yeah yeah .. thats the ticket.

> Harry, do you know that you can use `/ x' to limit based on extra
> headers?  You could add Keywords to gnus-extra-headers and
> nnmail-extra-headers.  Then you don't need the `& Keywords ...' thing.

Yeah, I know about that but as I said I dropped the extra Keywords
header a while back.  So if I added it back `/ x' would come into
play.  Its cleaner and quicker with fewer steps.  I probably should
just keep `Keywords' in there.  I don't see a lot of improvement on
opening groups anyway.

The advantage of `& REGEXP', I think, is that you could search for any
header, not just ones in NOV, by using the `body' target.  You might
get a false hit once in while where someone has included some header
in the body but it would'nt be a big factor I don't think.

Using `& Body' target ` REGEXP' allows you to do cool things like
specify:
`^Received:.*[dorky.tw.spammer.IP]' To immediately find and delete all
that guff that shows up on the Texi list... he he.