From: merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
Subject: Re: has "incorporating new mail" bug been fixed yet?
Date: 23 Dec 1999 22:15:12 -0800	[thread overview]

>>>>> "David" == David S Goldberg <dsg@mitre.org> writes:

David> As you note, the problem is due to using a directory source, but it's
David> not the case that the existence of 50-some .spool files causes the
David> problem.  The problem is that you've got 50-some nnml groups at levels
David> 1 and 2 and the directory is being searched for a file for each one,
David> whether or not such a file exists.  This is apparently (to me, based
David> on the explanation I only vaguely recall from Simon) due to nnml not
David> having a particular feature in the nnml-request-scan function.  I've
David> tried to look at what Simon did with nnimap-request-scan, but I just
David> plain don't get the code.  This is, in my opinion, a side effect of
David> the design of mail-source versus the old procmail specific code.  I am
David> quite certain that Lars is aware of this, I'm not so certain he
David> considers it a bug.

Well, when qgnus issues only one message, but pgnus issues hundreds of
messages, I can't see how that would not be considered a "bug" or at
least a degradation in performance.

I know, "patches welcome".  Maybe I'll have to dust off my elisp
reading skills.