* using `equal' on email addresses
@ 2001-01-30 15:48 NAGY Andras
From: NAGY Andras @ 2001-01-30 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

While email addresses are case insensitive, `equal' is being used at
some (several?) places in Gnus to compare them, which should be
fixed.  For instance, article-hide-boring-headers in gnus-art.el does
this.

Andras

* Re: using `equal' on email addresses
@ 2001-01-30 16:17 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-30 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

NAGY Andras <nagya@inf.elte.hu> writes:

> While email addresses are case insensitive, `equal' is being used at
> some (several?) places in Gnus to compare them, which should be
> fixed.  For instance, article-hide-boring-headers in gnus-art.el does
> this.

article-hide-boring-headers has been fixed.  But I did not go through
other Gnus code. If you find other instances, please post them.

ShengHuo

--
(setq gnus-posting-styles '((".*" (signature-file "~/.signature"))))

* Re: using `equal' on email addresses
@ 2001-01-30 16:25 ` Jost.Krieger
From: Jost.Krieger @ 2001-01-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 04:48:42PM +0100, NAGY Andras wrote:

> While email addresses are case insensitive, `equal' is being used at
> some (several?) places in Gnus to compare them, which should be
> fixed.  For instance, article-hide-boring-headers in gnus-art.el does
> this.

Please don't do this *exactly like this*.

The rules are:
The domain part is case insensitive.
In the local part, the address "Postmaster" must be valid
case-insensitively.
Othe local parts *can* be case-sensitive.

On the other hand, I know of no system that acts like this
intentionally, but under *nix you can easily have two users with
only case-differences to their loginid.

Jost
--
| Jost.Krieger@ruhr-uni-bochum.de      Please help stamp out spam! |
| Postmaster, JAPH, resident answer machine          am RZ der RUB |

* Re: using `equal' on email addresses
@ 2001-01-30 18:24   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-01-30 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jost.Krieger@ruhr-uni-bochum.de writes:
> The rules are:
> The domain part is case insensitive.
> In the local part, the address "Postmaster" must be valid
> case-insensitively.
> Othe local parts *can* be case-sensitive.

Also, to be maximally careful, the domain is everything after the
*last* "@".

paul

* Re: using `equal' on email addresses
@ 2001-01-31  1:25   ` NAGY Andras
From: NAGY Andras @ 2001-01-31  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jost.Krieger@ruhr-uni-bochum.de writes:

> The rules are:
> The domain part is case insensitive.
> In the local part, the address "Postmaster" must be valid
> case-insensitively.
> Othe local parts *can* be case-sensitive.

We could have a gnus-address-equal(-p?) function -- instead of the
newly introduced gnus-string-equal -- which could be configured
through variables whether to be case sensitive, insensitive, mixed
mode etc.  Maybe even an alist of regexps, matching domains,
indicating the case-sensitiveness of local parts in the given domain.
Kinda weird. :)

@ 2001-02-03 18:41     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-02-03 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Also, to be maximally careful, the domain is everything after the
> *last* "@".

Ugh, does anybody still use RFC 822 source routing?  I don't think so,
bang paths and percent hacks might still exist, however.

* Re: using `equal' on email addresses
@ 2001-02-06 13:27       ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2001-02-06 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Florian> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> Also, to be maximally careful, the domain is everything after the
>> *last* "@".

Florian> Ugh, does anybody still use RFC 822 source routing?  I don't think so,
Florian> bang paths and percent hacks might still exist, however.

It's not just for "source routing".  It's perfectly legal for me to
set up <merlyn@news@stonehenge.com> to use for Usenet postings.  Only
the rightmost "@" is significant *outside* the mail handler for
stonehenge.com.  Any presumptions about meaning to the left of that
one are quite possibly wrong.

Hmm.  Maybe I just invented a new spamproof address scheme, until the
scrapers figure this out!

* Re: using `equal' on email addresses
@ 2001-02-06 19:58         ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-02-06 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Florian> Ugh, does anybody still use RFC 822 source routing?  I
> Florian> don't think so, bang paths and percent hacks might still
> Florian> exist, however.
>
> It's not just for "source routing".  It's perfectly legal for me to
> set up <merlyn@news@stonehenge.com> to use for Usenet postings.

This is not a valid address in RFC 822 syntax, and thus not permitted
by RFC 1036.  You could use "merlyn@news"@stonehenge.com instead.

> Hmm.  Maybe I just invented a new spamproof address scheme, until the
> scrapers figure this out!

Unfortunately, UUCP rmail can't deal with spaces in local-parts,
that's why I stopped using " "@some.domain.

* Re: using `equal' on email addresses
@ 2001-02-06 20:14           ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2001-02-06 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Florian> merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
Florian> Ugh, does anybody still use RFC 822 source routing?  I
Florian> don't think so, bang paths and percent hacks might still
Florian> exist, however.

>> It's not just for "source routing".  It's perfectly legal for me to
>> set up <merlyn@news@stonehenge.com> to use for Usenet postings.

Florian> This is not a valid address in RFC 822 syntax, and thus not permitted
Florian> by RFC 1036.  You could use "merlyn@news"@stonehenge.com instead.

Oops. :)  Now I remember why I didn't do that.  Blame the "3 hours
of sleep in 48 hours" for that, please. :)

That's what happens when you spend 10 days at sea in the caribbean
with a bunch of other geeks (www.geekcruises.com)... no sleep. :)