* irritated by all those "no new mail" messages
@ 1999-11-02 15:39 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-11-02 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Every time I suck in new mail, I get a zillion little messages
like this:

  nnml: Reading incoming mail from directory...
  nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done

That's because my incoming directory has a lot of empty files, left
over from movemail.  Why movemail doesn't delete them, I'm not sure. :(

So I tried this:

(setq
 mail-sources '((directory
		 :path "~/.incoming/"
		 :predicate (lambda (f)
			      (not (zerop (nth 7 (file-attributes f)))))
		 )) ; terry gnus
)

And it *still* shows messages for all those empty files.  How do we
tell it not to look at an empty .spool file, or just shuddup about it?

qgnus was much more quiet about such. I know, I switched only a few
days ago. :)

* Re: irritated by all those "no new mail" messages
@ 1999-11-02 16:33 ` Stephen Zander
From: Stephen Zander @ 1999-11-02 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Randal> And it *still* shows messages for all those empty files.
    Randal> How do we tell it not to look at an empty .spool file, or
    Randal> just shuddup about it?

FWIW, I have the following:

  (setq nnmail-spool-file '((directory :path
       (concat gnus-directory ".incoming/"))

and pgnus just works, ie I get one 'Check new mail' message no mater
how many spools do or do not have anything in them.

This is with fetchmail/mailagent doing the splitting to a file per
group on the fron end (something I borrowed from you and Manoj many
moons ago).

--
Stephen

"So if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood."... "And
therefore?"... "A witch!"

* Re: irritated by all those "no new mail" messages
@ 1999-11-02 18:36   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-11-02 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Stephen> FWIW, I have the following:

Stephen>   (setq nnmail-spool-file '((directory :path
Stephen>        (concat gnus-directory ".incoming/"))

Stephen> and pgnus just works, ie I get one 'Check new mail' message no mater
Stephen> how many spools do or do not have anything in them.

(describe-variable 'nnmail-spool-file) ==>

    nnmail-spool-file's value is
    ((file))

    Documentation:
    *Where the mail backends will look for incoming mail.
    This variable is a list of mail source specifiers.
    This variable is obsolete; `mail-sources' should be used instead.

    You can customize this variable.

I see "obsolete" and I take it to heart.  I'm using mail-sources
instead, as instructed.  I have mine set to this:

    ((directory :path "~/.incoming/" :predicate
                (lambda
                  (f)
                  (not
                   (zerop
                    (nth 7
                         (file-attributes f)))))))

Why am I getting a message for every single nnml group?

* Re: irritated by all those "no new mail" messages
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Why am I getting a message for every single nnml group?

This means that, for some reason or other, Gnus believes that all your
mail groups come from different servers or something.

Do you have the mail server method in your
`gnus-secondary-select-methods'?

* Re: irritated by all those "no new mail" messages
@ 1999-11-08 15:46       ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-11-08 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>> Why am I getting a message for every single nnml group?

Lars> This means that, for some reason or other, Gnus believes that all your
Lars> mail groups come from different servers or something.

Lars> Do you have the mail server method in your
Lars> `gnus-secondary-select-methods'?

Yes.

(setq
 gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
)

I thought this was Standard Procedure.  It was once upon a time. :)

For more data, also consider that:  M-x gnus works fine (correct looking
entry messages), but M-x gnus-no-server, which pulls in only the
1,2 level groups for me (all nnml) displays the correct incorporating
messages but a HUGE SLEW of bad messages as well.

And M-g in the group buffer incorporates all messages, never just the
ones in the group I'm staring at.

* Re: irritated by all those "no new mail" messages
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> For more data, also consider that:  M-x gnus works fine (correct looking
> entry messages), but M-x gnus-no-server, which pulls in only the
> 1,2 level groups for me (all nnml) displays the correct incorporating
> messages but a HUGE SLEW of bad messages as well.

Hm.  There is code in nnmail to avoid scanning for new mail more than
once...

Could you `M-x debug-on-entry nnmail-get-new-mail RET', hit `2 g'
and see what the value of `nnmail-fetched-sources' is for each of the
calls?  (Well; for five or six of the calls, anyway.)